Sunday, July 17, 2022

Finding Peace to Sleep

 


Sleep – experts say it is one of the most important aspects of life a human need in order to live a healthy life.  Yet, sleep tends to be evasive for many of us.  I know this is the case for me.  Over the years, when life is difficult and there is so much to be concerned about, sleep is the thing that is the first to go – and the one that is the most needed.  As I reflect on this, I have always concentrated on the labors of the day, and the stressors of the world, instead of finding rest in my pillow.  I may get to sleep, but by mid evening, I am up, trying to solve the problems that were on my mind when I put my head on the pillow.   I will mull over every single situation in my head, providing answers to all of them, to no avail.

I know, of those of you who are reading this, that I am not alone.  In fact, according to The Cleveland Clinic, up to seventy million Americans every year deal with insomnia and other sleep disorders.  Sleep disorders cost America’s health care system over $94 billion a year.  Yes, BILLION!  I have attributed to that, trying to find the ‘magic combination’ that will help me get to sleep at night.  Whether it be medicine, meditation, yoga, exercise, or hot milk, people all over the nation are trying to find out what can help them to get a good night’s sleep.

After all these years, I have found that the winning ingredient is not a pill or an app, but the love of my Jesus.  Having been on medication for years, I made a commitment that it was time to rid myself of that and focus on a more natural way to sleep.  The answer, as it always is, was sitting in front of me – my Bible.  There are many verses in the Bible that help us to remember who is in charge, who can take our worry and anxiety, and who can give us the safety of His arms to sleep in.  Jesus is the only one who can offer me the peace and rest that my body needs. 

How do we rest in His arms to gain the necessary sleep?  We pray, we focus on Him, we breathe in and out, knowing He provides each breath for us.  Please, I do not profess that I have ‘locked this one in.’  I still have nights when I chase the sheep forwards and backwards.  After spending time thinking, I change to spending time praying.  I visualize being held in Jesus’ safe arms, knowing that He will not let anything bad happen to me.  Whatever I worry about, whatever I am stressed about, I know will work out the way HE wants it to be.  It may not be my way, but it will be His way – the best way.  Tragedies and sickness happen.  Loss of job and loss of finances happen.  Yet, Jesus will always be there for us, to hold in His arms, and bring us peace and safety.  Trust in the Lord, for He is good!

Dearest Lord, we need rest.  The pressures of the day keep us awake at night.  We are unable to get the rest our bodies and our minds need.  Help to remind us to turn to you, Jesus.  May we give our worries and our pressures to you and realize being held in your arms is the truest peace and rest.  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.