Sunday, July 24, 2022

Who Is Listening?

 


I was listening to a business program this morning.  They shared that many employers are not necessarily looking for experience for a position; they are looking for more of the ‘soft skills,’ behaviors that bring success.  One of the skills they focused on was good listening skills.  I laughed a bit to myself as I have been a big supporter of this theory for many years.  Throughout grade school, high school and even college, our focus is to drive knowledge into our children.  Yet, one of the most important communication skills, listening, seems to be left to chance!  If you hear, you must be listening.  We all know that is not necessarily the case.

Developing strong listening skills, active listening skills, can be a characteristic that can follow someone in every aspect of their life, and assist in more developed and healthier relationships.  There are many distinct aspects of listening:  active, passive, empathetic, selective, etc.  My mom and I used to joke that Daddy had selective listening!  Active listening can seem counterintuitive, but true listening and responding by asking questions and gaining insight is a large part of listening. 

Active listening means the recipient is spending time seeking understanding what the person is saying.  They do this by asking questions, paraphrasing, and if asked, providing feedback and guidance.  I thought about some of the great listeners I have had the experience to speak with over my career and all of those traits stand out.  If necessary, the listener acted from the conversation.

The greatest active listener?  None other than our wonderful Lord.  Today’s verse clearly reflects God’s ability to hear and to answer when we approach Him.  Our God is an active listener, responding with questions, paraphrasing our thoughts, and answering our requests.  There have been times when I have questioned whether God was truly listening to me – actively participating in the conversation.  In God’s own unique way, He let me know that He has heard me and provided exactly what I need in exactly the right time. How does God actively listen?

·        God will ask me questions when I share thoughts with him – helping me to reflect on the situation.

·        God will paraphrase and provide me guidance and peace – helping me to navigate the situation.

·        God will speak to me – through answered (or unanswered) prayers of the situation.

God’s listening skills exceed all of our expectations.  He hears words we have not spoken, “Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him,” Matthew 6:8.  Believe that our Heavenly Father is not just hearing us but is actively listening to us.  He is actively involved in our lives, every moment of every day.  Call on Him – He is waiting to listen!

Dearest Lord, thank you for being the greatest active listener.  We can go to you with all we have to say, and you gladly listen and respond with exactly what we need.  Help us to turn to you when we need to share and guide us to the direction of grace.  In your name we pray, Amen!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.