Sunday, September 18, 2022

Corn Maze of Life

 

This week autumn arrives.  By now, all of you are aware that this is my favorite time of year.  Which means I could not wait to hit the apple orchard nearby and get a few of those beauties off the trees.  This year, as I pulled up to one of my favorite spots, I saw a corn maze.  Among all of the fall activities such as apple picking, a wagon ride to the pumpkin patch, fall fairs, and more, the corn maze is also one that can quickly become a family favorite. 

I have entered a corn maze with such a level of confidence, “I’ll find the end in no time.”  First, it seemed easy enough, just follow the path in the corn.  Then there were decision points – should I go right or left?  Then the corn starts all looking the same.  I have said to myself, “Did I just past this stalk or is it a new one?” or “Am I going in a huge circle?”  Others in the maze provided advice.  I wondered, “Should I listen to them or continue on my path?”  Questions, confusion, anxiety, and fear arose.  I was overly excited when the corn maze guide asked if I wanted help.  YES!

I looked at the maze entrance at the apple orchard and smiled, memories of those days along with a sense of my life.  How often during my life I have walked into a new situation with such confidence?  Self-thoughts of “I’ve got this” ringing through my mind as I navigated the turns and decision points along the way.  My strong confidence quickly turned into self-doubt as I questioned the results of my choices.  Was this the right way to go?  Was this the correct decision to make?  Anxiety and fear covered me, and I took each step on my own, waiting for the results that “I” wanted.  As people offered their advice along the way, I wondered, “Should I listen to them?”

It was at that point that I would turn to my eternal guide, Jesus.  Knowing that he has been on this journey with me all along, He knew my fear, my anxiety, and my doubt.  Yet, usually in a puddle of tears, I would share with Him my journey and I hear Him say, “Follow me – let me guide you!”  It was at that point that I can then breathe, clear my tears, and feel peace.  This peace comes in knowing that Jesus will guide me through this situation I have gotten myself into – and guide me through life. 

Wouldn’t it have been easier if, before I entered the corn maze, I asked the guide which way I should go (not that they would tell me)?  The good news is that we do have a guide who can tell us which way to go – our Dear Jesus.  He wants us to come to Him, asking which direction to head.  This does not mean we will not have strife or difficulties on that path, but we will be on the path that He knows is right for us.  When we enter the corn maze of life, remember, consult with the greatest guide of all Jesus – let Him get you safely to the end!

Dearest Jesus, thank you for being our guide through the corn maze of life.  Help us to turn to you when we enter situations, knowing that your guidance will be the right decisions for our life.  Amen!


1 comment:

  1. How very true. This rang a note in my life right now...thank you.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.