Sunday, September 25, 2022

Fall into Reflection

 


Years ago, I had the pleasure of sharing some thoughts with a wonderful Women’s Bible Study.  It was my first attempt at sharing my faith in such a manner and I spoke on a topic that is dear to my heart, the seasons of the year.  Not only does each season, spring, summer, fall and winter, bring about changes to the weather in New England, but I always have attributed those seasons to seasons in life. 

Fall has many wonderful ways for us to enter this season of life.  I have always seen it as a season of reflection.  The busyness of the summer gives way to the transition of slower times.  Times to pick apples, sit by a fire with a mug of cider, and breath in the cooler, crisper air.  This time usually has me reflecting upon what I did not get done this summer that still needs to get accomplished before the end of the year.

Yet, the true reflection is that of self-reflection.  Looking into the mirror that Jesus provides to us and seeing if I am the woman, He wants me to be. 

·         Am I the woman in Proverbs 31?  Am I a wife of noble character, do I provide for my family, am I clothed with strength & dignity?

·         Am I the person in 1 Timothy?  Do I pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, and gentleness?

·         Am I the thankful one in 1 Thessalonians?  Do I give thanks in ALL circumstances, not just the situations that seem best for me?

There is much to reflect upon as to whether I am that person I want to be, and that Jesus wants me to be.  When I think about such things, I realize that under my best efforts, I fall short.  Not every day of my life do I live my best life.  I may try, but due to my sinful nature, I fall short.  I may provide for my family, but am I doing so with a truly giving heart?  I may be giving thanks to my Lord when prayers are answered the way “I” want them answered, but I know I provide God with more questions than praise when my prayers don’t seem to be answered the way “I” want them to be. 

In reflection, and full understanding that I may not be living my life fully in God’s eye, I am comforted and at peace.  Not only do I have God’s watchful eye, but I also have His grace and mercy!  I have God’s forgiveness – knowing that even when I may not be the full person, I could be each day, any of my shortcomings are wiped away by God’s hand.  He sees my heart and knows that I am doing my best.  The reflection is important to see where I can grow.  The forgiveness is important for my eternal life!

God, thank you for your eternal grace and mercy.  As I reflect and see where I may fall short in my life, I know that you are with me, providing me guidance, peace, and comfort.  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.