Sunday, October 30, 2022

Live as Light

 

It is a beautiful autumn evening, a bit warmer than typical temperatures for late October in New England.  As I sat on our deck looking at the trees, I noticed the last light of the evening peaking through the soon-to-be bare trees.  The light of goodness seemed to be saying ‘good night.’  It made me reflect upon the day and a disturbing incident that happened in a nearby town.

 

A few hours earlier, we heard of a road rage situation where a car cut off a tractor trailer on a busy street in a major town.  The driver of the truck got down from his rig to address the person in the car.  Suddenly the person in the car got out and shot the truck driver, to death.  The entire situation seemed incredibly surreal.  When my husband and I were leaving church this morning, we were driving on that same road.  We discussed what could drive two people to be so angry - for one person to be so angry about someone cutting them off that they felt the need to exit their vehicle and how the other person could shoot someone.  The world, and the people in the world, seem to be getting angrier and angrier.

 

Today, I remembered the photo I took last evening, and it started to seep in – we all need more kindness and light in the world.  Darkness seems to have overtaken various aspects of life.  The world seems to have become a darker place, replacing the kindness of light with the darkness of despair.  Where do we fit in?  What can we do? 

 

It may seem over simplified, but it boils down to the children’s song that we may have heard in Sunday School – “This Little Light of Mine.”  I recall the pride of the children when I would teach them this song in Sunday School.  Even as little ones, they waved their pointer in the air, sharing their ‘light’ with the world.  It is time to let our light shine everyone.  It is easy to get swayed by negative talk and gossip.  It is easy to raise voices in anger versus closing our mouths in patience.  Yet, it is time!  Time to:

·         Speak words of encouragement

·         Hold our tongues when positive words are at a loss

·         Smile to strangers

·         Offer that ‘great’ parking spot to the other car

·         Offer kindness to all

·         Treat each person with respect

 

Live as Light!  Let each person you meet see the light that you receive from knowing you have a life of eternity with Jesus.  Let each person glow in your light of hope.  Let each person feel peace.

 

Dearest Jesus, help me to shine “This Little Light of Mine.”  Help me to be the light that others need to see in the world today.  Help me to show others the light that may be missing in their lives.  Help me!  Amen.


2 comments:

  1. Such true words. If only today's mankind would live in the light of our God, the darkness of hate could disappear. Thanks for the picture you've painted, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. We’ll said Susan! One little gospel light can make a world of difference

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.