Sunday, October 16, 2022

Rest

 


Rest – the word sounds relaxing and calm until you actually try to rest!  In the busy days that encompass many of our lives, rest is an action that escapes us.  We may have great intentions.  We may plan to rest during an evening after work or carving out an hour or two on a weekend, yet something needs our attention and we are off to the races, with rest falling behind us. 

There is the physical nature of our lives that has our bodies moving and going constantly – to the next errand, the next chore, or caring for families.  There is also the mental nature of our lives, the constant thoughts that encompass our minds, vying for position on the extensive list of things we need to think about.  Personally, this is the one that I struggle with the most – the constant ‘thinking.’  It will consume all of my mind – even as I try to rest at night.  What should I anticipate tomorrow?  Did someone need something today I did not get to?  What if ‘this’ happens or ‘that’ happens?  Will I ever have enough time?  I forgot to tell someone something.  My mind will race to every possibility or every scenario – especially as I try to sleep.

This verse has always brought my comfort, especially in the physical and mental weariness I can find myself in.  If even God rested on the seventh day of creation, I am certain that He does not expect me to constantly move to keep moving or thinking without rest!  Sometimes this is easier said than done, but when I have asked God to clear my mind at night and take all that I am thinking about, I have noticed that rest has come.

This verse has impact on another part of our lives, our soulful nature.  What are we carrying around in our souls that needs rest?  It could be guilt for something we have done that we have not asked forgiveness for.  Our pride has come between our souls and rest, and we have not reached out to the person we sinned against to ask for needed forgiveness.  It could be shame for a sin that we believe is too great for forgiveness.  We may feel our sin is too great for God to forgive and the shame weighs heavy on our hearts.  It could be worry – worry for health, finances, relationships – so many things.  Our soul may be so burdened by worry that we cannot see the goodness in our lives.

This verse provides rest to ALL aspects of our lives, physical, mental, soulful.  Jesus WANTS us to bring all we have to Him.  He welcomes us with open arms and says to us, “Rest – I’ll take it from here.”  There is no one better in whose arms we can rest, knowing that the future is all that He knows will be.  Come to Jesus, give Him all you are dealing with, and let Him provide you the rest only His love can offer.

Dearest Jesus, we thank you for your open invitation of rest.  Help us to rely on you, not ourselves, for the rest that is needed.  May we bring all that is weighing heavy on us to your feet, Jesus, and may you provide us not only rest, but peace.  In your name.  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.