Sunday, March 19, 2023

Lenten Nourishment

 


I’m starving!  How many times have we heard our family bellow that throughout the years?  Maybe it is near dinner time as a parent is trying to juggle multiple priorities – including dinner.  Maybe it is in the morning as we try to open our own eyes with a cup of coffee.  I will admit, there have been times when I share that with myself as I realize I missed a meal in the busyness of the day.  When our bodies need nourishment, we ensure it is fed.

Not always do I feed my body with the ‘right’ foods.  In order to grab something quick, I may head to the vending machine at work for the chips or cookies.  I could be on the road during errands and find myself at the nearest Dunkin for a quick donut.  Of course, there is always the justification of why I may need that ice cream cone.  As we know, in moderation, everything is welcomed.  Yet, when I am starving I tend to ‘wolf down’ the item of choice, only to find myself still hungry in a couple of hours.

Today our Lenten focus is on Lenten Nourishment.  Our verses for this post take us to the Last Supper.  After Jesus washes the disciples’ feet, He then feeds them bread and wine.  This is Jesus’ last meal before He enters the Garden of Gethsemane where He begins His journey to the cross.  The Last Supper has been painted by many famous painters over the years.  Each time I look at a painting of this special meal, I can’t help but think how the disciples must have felt.  None of them truly understood what was to come, and that the meal they were having served to them by Jesus would be one of the Holy Sacraments of the Christian faith.  On that evening, they were nourishing their bodies.

The Sacrament of Holy Communion is one that nourishes our souls.  It is the body and blood of Jesus that fills us up and reminds us of the sacrifice of Jesus.  It reminds us of what we won in return for His sacrifice, an eternal life with Him in paradise.  Just as our bodies may starve for physical nourishment, our souls can be starving as well.  Did we miss a worship service and feel empty?  Did we choose to run off to work versus having prayer time with Jesus?  Did the midday mayhem yield to us instead of spending time with the verse of the day?

I know all of the above have been a part of my days.  When I miss those times in Jesus, I feel empty – I’m starving.  The only thing that fills me up is nourishing my soul in the Word.  Whether it is prayer time, Bible time or worship time, it is still time with Jesus that fills me up. When I can kneel at the alter and receive Holy Communion I am filled with Jesus and my soul is fully nourished!  During Lent, may we fill our souls with the nourishment of Holy Communion and time with Jesus.

Dearest Jesus, fill up my soul with your Word and Sacrament.  Hold me close and nourish me so that I can walk the days here on Earth with you by my side.  In your sacrificial name I pray, Amen!


1 comment:

  1. Amen thank you for all you so. This simple faith means so much to me.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.