Sunday, March 12, 2023

Lenten Servanthood

 


I am not a sock or shoe person.  I like walking around in bare feet.  Yes, outside too.  I think of the many times that this has not served me well; when there was a muddy spot I didn’t see, or sand that got between my toes, or the tragic walking in the backyard and missed where the dog . . . well, I don’t need to go into details.  Our feet can see a lot of ‘stuff’ in the years we are on this Earth.  Maybe that is why the picture of Jesus washing the disciples’ feet holds such a special place in my heart.

There are so many wonderful pictures of Jesus’ servanthood while he was on Earth.  Yet, the one that always hold close to my heart is the washing of the disciples’ feet.  For me, it is such a real depiction of how God became so humble that he washed the feet of those around him.  We aren’t just talking any feet, we are speaking of feet that wore sandals, on dusty roads for a period of time.  We are talking feet that saw thousands of miles walking with no local podiatrist.  We are talking feet that didn’t have a pedicure.  These were feet that were rough, ragged, and VERY dirty.  Jesus humbled himself to wash these feet in an act of servanthood.

When Marcia and I taught Sunday School to the pre-school class, one of my favorite Sundays was when we taught Jesus washing the disciples’ feet.  We would carefully take off their socks and shoes and wash their feet.  Although we were certainly not Jesus, we tried to help them understand what servanthood looked like at an early age.  This lesson would always make me reflect upon my own servanthood and ways to truly serve others.

Servanthood comes in many shapes and sizes.  We all have different gifts to share with others and to serve others.  During this time of Lent, maybe we can all take a deeper reflection on how we can ‘wash others’ feet’.  If we approach our days with a focus on serving others versus what we can get from others, maybe our lives would be more fulfilled and blessings towards others would grow.  Here is to a Lenten season filled with the servanthood of our Lord.

Heavenly Jesus, help us to enter each day with a focus of servanthood.  May we find ways to enrich the lives of those around us with the gifts that you have given to us.  In your serving name, Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.