Sunday, September 24, 2023

No Comparison

 

Have you ever looked to the right and left of you and wonder, “I work so hard, and they seem to get all the reward?”  Maybe this has crossed your mind at work, while speaking to neighbors or even at a family dinner.  There are many times in my life where I believed I may have worked harder at things, but never ‘reaped’ the benefits of that hard work.  During those reflective times I would compare my life to others, what I had and what I didn’t have.  I tried to rationalize why my life may have been so difficult and why their lives seemed easier and more fruitful.

No, I am not proud of those moments in my life.  God teaches so often throughout His Word that our works do not get us a place ‘in the front of the line’ at heaven or an easier life.  He makes it abundantly clear that we cannot earn our way to Him through our works.  These loving verses noted above shares with all of us that the only way we gain salvation is by faith in Jesus and the gift of His grace.  This gift of salvation, which we do not deserve, is not something we can earn.  We can’t work our way to heaven. 

This doesn’t mean we shouldn’t work hard and that we shouldn’t behave as Jesus has asked us to.  It is a very clear reminder, though, that putting work in front of God will not secure our place in heaven.  For many, we can compare this to the Mary and Martha syndrome.  When Jesus visits the home of these two sisters, it is Mary who sits at the feet of Jesus and listens to Him speak while Martha scurries around the home, ensuring a nice dinner will be served, and becoming infuriated with the lack of help from her sister.  Jesus calls out Martha saying, “Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed – or indeed only one.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:41-42

It is important for us to do our very best, whether we are serving at church, at work or at home.  Yet, it is also important to remember that this work will NOT get us a better seat in heaven, or more riches than we deserve.  Our eye should be on filling ourselves up with the riches of grace, mercy, salvation, and love that our Savior so freely gives to us.  All Jesus wants is for us to believe in Him, and that alone, clears our path to heaven.  My friends, do your best, but let us not compare ourselves to others, or judge others.  Join me when our thoughts take us there, to turn our eyes on Jesus, and smile saying, “Thank you God, for your give me all that I need, your gift of salvation.”

Jesus, help me to remember that my work doesn’t define me as a child of God, but my belief in you defines me as Your child.  Hold me close to you in times where my thoughts may wander and bring me back to your grace and mercy.  In your name I pray, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.