Sunday, November 19, 2023

Thanks for All

 


I’m sure many of us are thinking the same thought today, “I can’t believe Thanksgiving is only a few days away!”  I’m feeling the same sentiment.  Whether you are preparing for 50 people or 5, there is still preparation.   I find myself ensuring I have enough chairs, where is everyone going to sit, will I have enough turkey (and I better ensure I have enough stuffing my mom reminds me).  Yet, with all that preparation, I breathe and take a moment for thanks.

These verses from 1 Thessalonians have become some of my favorites.  “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”  A few years ago, I made a point of spending time with these verses, understanding the power in these words.  At face value, one may say, “Doing that is easy enough!”  Maybe it is for some, but for me, I found myself falling short.  Let’s take each one.

Rejoice Always – When something wonderful happens, we can find ourselves celebrating for that which makes us happy.  In the moment, there can be joy and smiles, laughter, and happiness.  Do I share thanks with our Lord for those moments?  Does pride seep in and I forget where the goodness comes from?  Taking the time to rejoice always in good (and the tough) situations is what God wants from us.  He certainly deserves our rejoicing in him, always!

Pray Continually – I admire folks who have prayer journals and sit down with those journals daily to pray for those in need.  I’m not one of those folks.  My prayer time is erratic and many times I find my quiet prayer time to be in the car, driving to work in the morning.  It is one of the many things I fall short with and keep trying to improve.  One area I have gained in prayer is praying immediately.  What does that look like?  Taking a few moments to pray for that tough meeting I may have, or ensuring I lift someone up to God when I hear of a health situation or a difficult time for them.  Immediately talking to God has brought him into my life continuously throughout the day. 

Give Thanks in All Circumstances –To give thanks for all?  That’s much to ask from us humans, isn’t it?  Giving thanks to God for hurt and despair, for heartache and ill health, for sadness and loneliness can be a very tall order.  Why am I thanking God if I’m ill or lonely?  I struggled with that concept for a long time.  I realized that the glory may not come in the situation, but that I have a God I can go to, to talk with, who understands what I am dealing with.  Yes, little me among the billions of people, has God’s ear and God has my heart.  He knows when life is hard for us.  The more we go to him with, “God, I may not know your plan, but I know you are my God.  This road may be tough for me now, but I am thankful for what you are showing me and teaching me.”  It isn’t an easy prayer to say, especially if we are angry or in despair.  That is when God wants us to reach out to him.

Giving thanks for all we have, the good and the bad, the joy and the sadness, can seem difficult.  Friends, we have a God who understands us and wants us to come to him with it all.  He wants to help us get through the tough times with him by our side.  Revel in the knowledge that our God knows the plan for us.  He will be there for us if we go to him with a thankful heart.  Happy Thanksgiving to All!

Heavenly Father, we thank you for it all!  Help us to always come to you rejoicing, praying, and giving thanks in all circumstances!


1 comment:

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.