Sunday, December 10, 2023

Gift of Presence

 


The second week of Advent already!  Time is flying by this Christmas season.  With all the preparations and busy schedules, finding time to be alone in your own thoughts may seem rare.  Yet there are those who are only feeling a sense of loneliness this Christmas.  It may be that they miss a loved one who has passed.  They could be searching for that special someone in their lives.  Friendships may have been broken.  Hard times may be upon them, and they choose to retreat inward to solitude.  There are many reasons people may be lonely this Christmas.

Being lonely, even with a room full of people around you, can certainly reign true.  It could be that the people who surround you cannot see inside your heart, where a feeling of loneliness is residing.  Having lonely moments can be tough to work through.  Who really knows my pain?  Who can really see my despair?  Many times, people on earth CAN’T see all of that.

There is one who sees it all and is with us all, Jesus!  When He came to earth that Christmas morn, He brought with Him his everlasting presence!  Would I have loved to have been next to Jesus side during the time of His ministry?  YES!  Would I have enjoyed walking down a dirty path with him – in awe of it all?  YES!  What I need to remember, what WE need to remember, is that He is next to me, He is walking with me, with us!

Jesus gave us the gift of His presence – not with all that He did for us while on earth, but also His presence with us while he waits for us in heaven.  In moments of loneliness, there is one who can see our pain, one who can see our despair, and one who can take our loneliness away.  What a friend we have in Jesus!  He is with us not only for all the good in our lives, but more importantly, for all the dark moments as well.

I find this most comforting when the thoughts at night run through my mind.  So often, sleep is replaced with thoughts of what I should do that I’m not doing, how I could have done something differently and a sense of loneliness through it all.  This is when I run to Jesus.  I imagine him sitting next to me at my bedside, smiling at me, ensuring that I know he is always there for me – wherever my mind takes me. 

Jesus wants us to know that we are never alone.  Whatever our situation may be, Jesus is right there with us.  He is holding our hand, listening to our worries, providing support not from afar – but right next to us.  Christmas can be a time of loneliness.  Friends, if you find yourself there – go to the One that is always there for you, Jesus.  If you know someone who could use a friend, a person to listen, be present for them as Jesus is present to you.  Give them your time, hold their hand, listen to their worries, and provide support.  You may find Jesus is working through you as He gives you the gift of His presence!

Dearest Jesus, thank you for the gift of your presence.  During times of loneliness and despair, let us be reminded that we are never alone.  The gift of you being here for us always fills our hearts and souls.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.