Sunday, January 7, 2024

Joy in Pain

 

2024 is upon us!  This first Sunday of the year finds us waking up to a blanket of white in New Hampshire.  This is the first significant snowfall this season and I LOVE IT!  The first snowfall is still amazing to me.  As a kid, we would wait patiently to be able to go out and play in the snow.  Today, I still enjoy getting out, even if it is to assist my husband in the shoveling (do not be confused, he does the lion’s share of THAT chore).  This is one of the many joys I experience living in New Hampshire – the seasons.  We receive the gift of enjoying each of the seasons – and I take full advantage!

I thought about how we would start 2024 with Simple Faith for Today.  I have decided to go backwards; yes, back to a time when I had the good fortune to engage with a Ladies Bible Study (thank you Mary).  It was my first time speaking in front of women and to say I was nervous was an understatement.  Yet, after much preparation – and even more prayer – Jesus guided the session, and we all had a wonderful time.  The title was “Seasons of Faith.”  We are going to try that in 2024!  Let us get started.

The seasons of life can bring many emotions.  Often, people label their winter season one that is dark, dreary, or difficult.  Winter can feel like.  Dark days, dreary evenings, difficult blizzard conditions, all can lead to a tough season of life.  I believe I can safely say we have all been there.  Have you experienced times in life when it has been difficult?  Have there been times when you did not want to get out of bed because you were not certain that it would not get any worse than it already was?  This winter season of life can be tough to navigate. 

During theses times is when I search God’s word for a lifeline – words of wisdom to guide me.  It is when I came across the verse for today from James 1:2, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds.”  At first view I remember thinking, “Really God – I am supposed to consider this JOY?  This pain and suffering are a good thing?”  Certainly, God never promised us a ‘rose garden’ life.  Yet finding joy in pain was asking much from this Jesus girl.   Get ready!  As God always does, the next verses are where the question is answered.

James 1:3-4 states, “…because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.”  There it is - the learning moment!  Consider the winter moments of life JOY because those moments test your faith.  When your faith endures, you become more mature in your faith, leaning on God during these challenging times.  That faith in God will always give you exactly what you need in the right time.  Yes, those winter moments can feel like an eternity, yet we know that season of life will move into a new season.  Relying on Jesus during those times can bring guidance, peace and even JOY.  Go to Jesus during the tough times, the difficult times.  Ask for Him to be there for you.  Feel the power that can seem like Jesus is there Only for You – JOY.

Dearest Jesus, as we begin our winter series, help us to know you are there for me!  During those times, let me feel your presence.  Guide and direct me out of those tough times with a sense that you are there just for me.  Let my simple faith know that persevering through tough times can produce perseverance and joy.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.