Sunday, February 11, 2024

Always With Us

 


In New England, the days of winter are some of the darkest we have.  The sun rises later in the morning and goes down sooner in the evening.  Add into the mix that many times it is too cold to step outside or the snow is too dangerous to go anywhere, and a person can find themselves alone in their home for an extended period of time.  The result?  A feeling of loneliness.

The feeling of loneliness can result from the physical elements that are around us, as explained above.  During COVID, this was more pronounced as people were unable to connect with others face to face.  The inability to see people, touch people and be with people was difficult for many.  This was enhanced with our elderly, who may not understand how to “zoom” or “facetime” with others. 

Loneliness can be more pronounced even when we are with a multitude of people.  Have you ever felt alone in a room filled with people?  I know I have.  I have experienced this most when I am with people I have nothing in common with.  I can feel ‘out of place’ and begin questioning why I was invited to that party or to that event.  All of the sudden, with folks gabbing and laughing, I feel like I’m the only person in the room.

Nothing screams loneliness more than a mind racing in the middle of the night.  As others are sleeping, others can be thinking why they are alone in their thoughts or in their lives.  These thoughts can spiral and make us feel like we are the only people going through certain situations and dilemmas.  Add into that scenario that one can feel alone in a relationship or marriage and the boulders on our shoulders get heavier and heavier.

In walks our God, the one who is ALWAYS with us.  We are never alone.  We never walk into a room of strangers alone.  We are never in a relationship alone.  We never sit alone.  There is ALWAYS someone with us.  God is there, my friends, even in the darkest and most lonely moments.  When we believe no one can hear us, God does.  When we believe no one is listening, God is.  When sleep escapes us and the darkness of the night pulls us into loneliness, God is right there beside us. 

The comfort that God is always with me has seen me through many dark and lonely moments.  During those sleepless nights, I turn to this verse, and I know He is at my bedside, holding my hand.  When I walk into that room filled with strangers, I know I always have a friend standing beside me.  When I have felt alone in a relationship, I know that God is beside me, holding me up and strengthening me.  God loves us so much that He never leaves us, never forsakes us.  Knowing that has gotten me through many days, and nights (and Valentine’s Days when life can be lonely).  Nobody will love you more than God.  Nobody knows you better than God.  Nobody is with you always like God.  You are never alone, my friends.  Never feel lonely – for God is there for you always.

My Dear Friend, God, thank you for never leaving me.  When loneliness overtakes me, lead me to this verse and helps me to see that my life is filled with your love, your grace, and your mercy.  Let me know that your love can fill me up when I feel empty and that your goodness surrounds me.  Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.