Sunday, February 4, 2024

Intercession

 


Anguish, pain, weakness.  Not the most uplifting words to start off a blog post!  In reality, during the winter season of life, these words can become very real for us.  There has been a winter season in my life which all that seemed to be around me, in me, was pain and anguish.   The life I was living seemed to have despair with every waking moment.  I recently read the 88th chapter of Psalms.  It is one of the few chapters in Psalms where the beginning verses of despair do not end with a word of hope.  As I was reading this chapter, I reflected back in my life when I have felt those words, especially verse five, “I am overwhelmed with troubles.”  Thinking back on that time, anguish was the only emotion.

Life can bring us those moments when we just don’t know what to do anymore.  No matter where we turn, no matter what we do, trouble continues to pile on.  It may start small.  Maybe it was a disagreement with a family member.   Gossip and lies replace truth and understanding.  What becomes a minor disagreement becomes years of silence.  Maybe it was just a small purchase – that great sweater or pair of shoes.  Other small purchases continue, purchases that cannot be afforded.  Lies of “I deserve it” or “Just one more” replace the realization of further debt, yielding financial despair.  Lastly, the anguish that comes from losing a loved one can be overwhelming.  Expected or not, the pain of not having that person by your side can create a dark chasm that is hard to fill.

I have gone to my Lord in prayer during this difficult time in my life.  I prayed for relief, for guidance, for hope.  Day after day it seemed as if God may have forgotten me.   It all culminated into an evening where I just didn’t know what to say to God anymore; I didn’t know what to pray for.  Much like our verse for today, I just groaned in agony. 

The Holy Spirit is our lifeline, my friends.  The Holy Spirit, who lives inside our souls, is not only there as a gentle reminder to our conscious, but also is our lifeline to Jesus when we don’t know what to say.  The Holy Spirit is our intercession and acts on our behalf when we don’t have the strength to do it on our own.  I love the verse for today, for I know I always have the Spirit to continue my connection to Jesus when I don’t know what to do or what to say.  The Holy Spirit brings my soul to God when I don’t have the strength to do it anymore.  Out of the anguish, out of the pain, comes peace.  Feelings of being overwhelmed can lead to direction and guidance.  Despair and loneliness are filled with the joy of knowing that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are always there for me. 

There are times in life when people may intercede on our behalf, to help build relationships back up, to provide financial help, or to have a cup of coffee during a lonely time.  These intercessions are gifts from God to let us know He is with us.  The Holy Spirit has acted on our behalf, brought our prayers that we didn’t have words for, and God has responded.  Live life knowing that the gift of intercession that the Holy Spirit has given to us is for all!

Holy Spirit, thank you for interceding on our behalf.  Finding the words and emotions to share with God that I don’t have anymore gives me hope that God will always know me!  Knowing that you are the lifeline to share my words when I don’t have any words left brings me peace that God will always hear my prayers, even through my groans.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.