Monday, September 1, 2014

Miracles Every Day


Please tell me that you can relate to this.  You and your spouse are working at least 10 hour days, getting home and doing household chores, making sure the bills are paid - only to wake up the next day and do it all over again.  Days can become one huge blur, especially as summer ends and the school year begins.  That is what our lives have been like lately.  My husband and I seem to be running and running to make sure that all of the children have what they need to start the school year.  That is, of course, in between doing all the other things that need to get done.  Just stopping and breathing seems to be a challenge.

That was until Friday afternoon.  We both decided to take a 1/2 day off from work to get ahead of the traffic that is typically very heavy going north on Labor Day weekend.  As we both connected after doing respective errands, my husband says to me, "Do you remember the sprinkler system going off this morning?"  After briefly thinking about it, I realized it hadn't gone off in a few days.  Obviously - THAT wasn't a good sign.  Visions of the pump being burned out raced through both of our minds.  It was working so well this summer - no kinks in the process - until Friday.  

My husband went to assess the situation.  Sure enough, a big and heavy tree had fallen down, inhibiting the flow of water and stopped the pump from working.  My husband came up to change into his "pump working clothes" and shared the bad news.  He would go down to see what he could do, but we prepared for the worst - having to purchase a new pump and all the work that goes along with it.  

Being the good wife, I waited patiently by the house, not wanting to hear his disappointment of what was going to be inevitable news.  About 20 minutes later, I ventured out his way.  Juan looked at me and said, "You are not going to believe this."  As he tried to lift the huge tree from off the pump system, he stated there was no way it was going to move.  It was just too heavy.  He asked God for some help - knowing that we couldn't afford a new pump and that the project would be a difficult one.  He pulled the tree from a different angle and it moved effortlessly.  Juan was astonished; I was astonished.  Even with the tree moved, there was more that should be wrong.  The pump would need to be primed again, even if it did work.  When he plugged it in - lo and behold, water starting raining over our lawn from the sprinkler heads.  We both looked at each other in amazement. 

There are times when one just HAS to believe in God, for there is no other explanation for what happens.  My husband and I had the honor of God bestowing a miracle on us that day.  In the busyness of our lives, things get overlooked - forgotten.  It was as if God said, "I need to get your attention in a way that helps you know I am still here."  He got our attention, all right.  On a simple Friday afternoon, when it seemed as if there was too much going on, God said, "I am here with you- every day - always."  He performed a miracle.  Right then and there, in our backyard, we gave praise to God, thanking Him for doing only what He could do.  The rest of our weekend has been a little slower.  We have talked about that  moment every so often - with a smile on our face.

Yes, life gets busy.  Sometimes we can't see the forest through the trees.  Yet, God puts miracles in our paths to help us be reminded of what we can't always see, His awesome power and love.  It feels good to have God shine on you.  Think over the past few days - a time when something went right.  Amidst difficult times, God is still there for us, loving us, trying to help us open our eyes.  Stop and open your eyes.  See His wonderful goodness and miracles of faith.

"Everyone living in Jerusalem knows they have performed a notable sign, and we cannot deny it."  (NIV)  Acts 4:16

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.