Sunday, August 30, 2015

Best Laid Plans . . . .


A few years ago, our church focused on reading through the Bible in a year.  I was so excited to do this, as I longed to read through the Bible, but didn't know how to start.  Many of you would say, "at the beginning" and I tried that many times.  Yet, by the time I got to the book of Numbers, my interest would wain.  So when they shared it would be a combintion of old and new testament books, I was excited.  It was a great year!  I kept the outline because I found so many times I needed to spend more time in certain areas.  Yet, there were a few books I loved - and Proverbs was one of them.  It's like a book of little gems that help us to better understand how to live our lives.  It is one of those books I should read on a daily basis!!

As many of you know, I'm a planner.  When there are plans to be made, I'm your gal.  Lists to throw a perfect party?  Got it.  Plan a vacation?  Should have been a travel agent.  Plan for a project?  In detail.  These plans not only get in my head, but in my heart.  I become very passionate about these plans.  Please tell me someone reading this understands me??  Of course, those who live with us "planners" tend to see us as a bit obsessive.  I know I probably am.  

Our lives unfold, and here, once again, our plans can get rearranged.  So many things can change plans; people's minds, people's hearts, circumstances, etc.  When plans change, they can create quite a stir in our lives, certainly for us planners.  The plans that we create and hold dear to our hearts can many times feel personal.  When the plans change, it can disrupt our lives. 

What is so important for all of us to remember is that plans change for a reason.  God has the divine purpose that we don't always understand.  His focus, His drive, His journey is the one that we need to be on - and He has a special way many times of gaining our attention to HIS PURPOSE.  Gaining our attention when our plans don't align with His can sometimes seem drastic.  Yet, that may be what is necessary for us to see what He needs us to see.  And I don't know about you, but when my plans are changed by God's plans, it is always better.  It's not that good things occur - truly great things occur.  

God is the ultimate planner - not me.  Sometimes I need some reality checks in this area and God is always willing to give them to me!  I have learned to accept them as His will instead of my will - knowing that His will is divine.  So the next time that plans seem to go array, remember, it's just God telling us that He is the one who is in control - He is the one whose plans prevail.  We just need to have simple faith to continue on His path.

"Dearest Lord, may I always realize that you knew my journey long before I was born.  May I heed myself to your plans, not mine.  May I understand that you know what is best for me and my family.  Let me rely on simple faith to guide me in your direction."


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.