Sunday, August 2, 2015

From the Mountaintop


This past weekend we had the privilege to take a gondala ride up to the top of the mountain at the Killington Ski Resort in Killington, Vermont.   At the base of the mountain, we couldn't even see the top.  Yet, once we arrived at the top (elevation 4,241 feet), I was truly amazed.  As soon as we stepped out, the beauty was all around us. No matter where you turned, no matter in which direction you looked, there was the stunning beauty of the Green Mountains in Vermont.  In fact, we were able to see Mount Washington in New Hampshire from that vantage point.  It had to be one of the most beautiful sites I have seen.  Yes, it is summer and there was such beauty.  Yet, I can't even imagine what it would look like in the fall with God's paintbrush or winter with the snow covered trails.  It was just stunning.

When I see God's beauty just shine out like that, I can't help but believe what a wondrous and amazing God we have.  To know that He created all of that is really too hard to comprehend sometimes.  I am sure all of you have had an opportunity when you witness the hand of God and can't help but stop for a moment, in peace, and know that we have an Awesome God.  Maybe you viewed some of the wonders of this earth, maybe it was at the birth of a child, or it could also have been at the passing of a loved one.  Any one of those moments, and so many more, is when we get to stop and say, "Thank You God for giving me this gift!!"  

This moment of awe can also happen in every day events.  Once again, moments that just take your breath away when you least expect it.  This happened a couple of months ago.  At the end of each quarter at work, we take time to have a luncheon for all the new hires that have joined our company during that quarter.  It is a festive time as we celebrate their joining our work family and they enjoy a special lunch with our executive team and each other.  We chat about our every day lives - our families, pets, hobbies, etc.  This particular luncheon was going on without a hitch.  The typical introduction would be something like, "I'm Susan and I have a wonderful family with four children and a dog.  I enjoy writing, etc. etc. etc."

Yet, this day a young woman shared, "I'm _____, and I'm a Christian."  Yep, right there in our work luncheon she declared her love for her Lord.  "WOW" was really the first word that came to my mind.  I was in awe of this wonderful woman who spoke right out and shared her faith.  I've never done that.  I always "hope" people can tell I'm a Christian by my words and actions, yet, to get right out there and share it - that was incredible.  In our passage today, we hear our Lord sharing that even if our faith is as small as a mustard seed (and that is REALLY small), we can still move mountains.  What faith this young woman has to declare her love in such a work setting, with all the vice presidents and president there!  I can imagine she would be able to move those Green Mountains in a heartbeat.  

The glory of our Lord comes in so many different ways.  It can come through majestic mountains.  It can come through a moment in our lives that is truly a gift.  It can come through a declaration of faith in our Jesus.  Find those moments, those peace-filled, heart-stopping moments and cherish them.  God puts them in our paths so that we stop and give glory to Him - right then and there!  It's what I did at the top of that mountain.  It's what I did the day the woman shared her faith.  I pray those moments are frequent in your life for they should be cherished.

"Heavenly Lord, so many times we run through life without stopping, without taking time to appreciate your awe and wonder.  Help us to have moments where we just need to take a few minutes and revel in the gifts you have given us, whether it be a majestic mountain or a kind woman declaring her faith.  All of those moments are filled with your reach and awsome love.  Thank you, Jesus, for giving all of this to us.  In your gracious name we pray, Amen!"




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.