Sunday, April 8, 2018

Gracious Gratitude

"Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.  For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations."  Psalm 100: 4-5 (NIV)

Gratitude - to be thankful.  Having gratitude, or thankfulness, naturally surrounds itself with acts that may have been done to or for us.  I have gratitude for my husband's loving demeanor.  I have gratitude for the friendship of wonderful people.  I have gratitude for the blessings received in career and home.  Gratitude seems as if it comes naturally, and for many it does.

I learned recently of another type of gratitude, gracious gratitude.  In a faith-based definition, this is having a deep level of thankfulness not for WHAT God provides to us but for WHO God is with us.  It begs to be more of a relational way of experiencing God and his goodness.  It tends to overlook the WHAT has been given to us, whether positive or challenging, and focus that throughout all of that, what we have is a God who is WITH us, in love, in power, in goodness.  In straightforward thinking, it takes gratitude to a next level.

I know that I tend to see myself as a "natural gratitude" person - giving thanks to the things that happen to me or for me.  I believe this is a part of every person - the ability to have this type of gratitude on a regular basis.  This is important - not just for us who are extending our thanks, but also for the person who is receiving our thanks.  Sometimes, I feel like the world (myself included), loses sight of the importance of natural gratitude.  We may take the situation we are in or the circumstances around us for granted.  Some may even say "I deserve" all this goodness.  When we look upon gratitude in this form, it becomes self-centered.  Extending natural gratitude is important in every-day living.

Gracious gratitude is providing that gratitude to God for the relationship we have and what He brings to my life.  Above all, He loves me.  It is the type of love that envelopes me into His being through the Holy Spirit.  God brings me peace.  Over the years, I tried to find peace in so many different places.  Peace through music.  Peace through meditation.  Peace through books.  A few years ago, God's peace reigned down on me - through His word.  Now, that is where I find the peace that only God can provide.  I am learning to give this gracious gratitude to the only One who gave Himself for me.

Gratitude is important to share.  We need more of this in our lives today.  Let's step away from entitlement and move to gratitude in our daily activities; natural gratitude for those around us and gracious gratitude for our relationship with God.  As I end, I would like to share natural gratitude for all who read this blog.  Five years ago today, I began an opportunity to share with close friends my thoughts on having simple faith in a complex world.  Today, we are surrounded by roughly 200 people a week.  I have had the blessing of speaking to women about these thoughts and have been more thoroughly blessed by the stories all of you have shared with me.  Please receive my deep-felt gratitude for your continued reading.  

Heavenly Father, may we continue our natural gratitude with those around us.  Help us to lift our gratitude up to you, gracious and merciful.  As we better understand your wonderful relationship with us, may we also hold tight to the love, forgiveness and joy you surround us with - even in times of trouble.  May we hold fast to your great goodness and love.  In your name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.