Sunday, April 1, 2018

Lilies of Love


"Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord:  though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool."  
Isaiah 1:18 (NIV)

Easter - such an incredibly joyous day.  Yes, there are the Easter eggs, the Easter dresses and suits, the Easter baskets and yes, those lovely Easter bunnies.  Everything associated with Easter brings a smile to my face - it is light and happy.  Such a difference from our grieving of Good Friday.

With all the wonderful images of Easter, one continuously pulls at my heart strings, the white Easter Lily.  The beautiful trumpets of pure white are flowers I can reflect upon for such a long time.  First, there is the wonderful scent they give - so fresh and pure.  Then there are the tall stalks of green that they grow out of - so stately in nature.  The yellow pistils with their powdery substance pop in color.  Yet, it all comes back to the white flower - that is the part that rings true to my heart.

I look at that beautiful flower and all I can see is Jesus.  There isn't any cross of wood in that image.  There are no nails.  There is no crown of thorns.  All of those images take me to Good Friday and what Jesus did for me.  On Good Friday, as I sit looking at the cross in church, I see red - sins of red.  I see the sins that Jesus took upon his head as they put the crown of thorns on him.  I see the sins the Jesus took upon his back as they whipped and beat him.  I see the sins that Jesus took upon his shoulders as he carried the cross through the streets.  I see the sins that Jesus took upon his hands as the nails pierced him.

On Easter Sunday, with the alter filled with lilies, I see white.  I see the scarlet red of my sins gone and replaced with the lily white of forgiveness.  I see the purity of my soul as Jesus sees it.  He loved me so much to take all those horrible sins that I have committed and replaced them with pillows of white.  The white of snow, the white of cotton, the white of lilies.  It is that purity that Jesus so graciously gave to me - because he loved me more than I could ever love myself.

As we move through the next few days and see the lilies that have adorned our alters and homes, I ask that you take some time to reflect.  Reflect on the crimson of our sins.  Reflect on the love of our Jesus.  Reflect on the pure white of our sins forgiven.  It is those sins forgiven that give us a place with Jesus in paradise.  How deep is His love for us?  How deep should our love be for others?  Blessings to all this Easter!

"Heavenly Jesus, as we reflect on all that Easter brings to us, help us to always remember the purity you brought to us.  Through your death, you took the crimson red of our souls and replaced it with the white lily.  May we turn to you throughout each and every day, to say "thank you" for the love you have shown to us.  In turn, may we take that love and share it with others.  In your gracious name we pray, Amen!'

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.