Sunday, September 23, 2018

Repurpose

"But the Lord said to him, "Go because this man is my chosen instrument to carry my name before Gentiles and kings and the people of Israel."  Acts 9:15 (NIV)

It's a little table, but it has great meaning.  When I was dating my husband, I had decided to gift him a cherished item, a stained glass lamp my father had made.  After giving it to him, I realized he really didn't have any place for the lamp to stand.  So I bought this table that was unfinished and I stained it so it would go with his other furniture.

Throughout the years, the little table has been in different parts of our home, looking for its purpose.  As I changed the color scheme in our home throughout the years, the table remained the same.  Today, it was time to repurpose the table.  Out came the paint and paintbrush and the table was revitalized for a small, perfect corner in our home.  Away went the dingy stain and along came the fresh and pure white finish.

The entire process made me think of how God has repurposed many people, self included.  We look to our original purpose and throughout the years, we can see God's hand in repurposing our lives.  I don't think there is a better example of this than when Saul, who shared murderous threats to those that followed Jesus, was transformed into a true believer (Paul). As we see in our verse today, God specifically chose Saul, who had mistreated and murdered so many who were believers, and completely transformed him to spread the Gospel.  Just like my little table, away went the dingy behaviors and on went the pure white finish.

It's hard to imagine ourselves as anyone but who we are.  Although I have always had a faith in Jesus, I never would have believed that I would have taken that faith to a weekly blog in His name, to put myself "out there" for Jesus!  I was a quiet believer within the confines of our home.  Today, I have been repurposed by God.  He has shown me that I can do more with His strength and guidance.  I would never have known this if I wasn't quiet and listened.  Just as Saul was blinded for three days and could not see anything, there have been times when I needed to be quiet and just listen for God's words (not an easy thing for me to do).

How about you?   Have you been repurposed for God's will?  Think about your life - has it changed for the purpose of our Dear Lord?  Maybe it is time to put on a new coat of paint and see how we might be able to define a new purpose for our lives.  Be still and listen - close our eyes and reflect - give thanks and praise for what God shares with you!!

Heavenly Father, we thank you that you don't give up on our dingy behaviors, but paint us new and fresh with a greater purpose for you.  Help us to be still and reflect on how YOU want us to move forward in your name - bringing a higher purpose for our daily lives, lives that are lived out in your name.  Bless us Jesus.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.