Sunday, November 11, 2018

Gradual Beauty

"Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity . . ."  Hebrews 6:1  (NIV)

Saturday morning, as I looked out onto the backyard, I noticed something brilliant - the ornamental pear tree.  As the rest of the leaves on the trees moved from vibrant colors to muted browns and yellows, this tree brought forward its beauty.  The beauty of the tree was gradual.  With the larger trees displaying such color at their peak, this little tree seemed to get lost.  It seemed as if it waited, until it could shine its gorgeous colors.  The wind was blowing around it, along with the leaves off of the trees.  Yet, the little tree shined!

I looked at this tree and realized that many times, our faith can be like this little tree.  Throughout my life, I have had the honor of being with other Christians during worship, Bible studies, retreats, Christian concerts, prayer meetings, etc.  One time during an event like this in college, I saw someone's faith turn brilliant colors along with others around them.  They were all inspired by the happenings of the event and the Holy Spirit worked on their hearts - the brilliance of faith abounded.  It was amazing.  Yet, what was happening to them wasn't happening to me.  I felt "left out" from what they were feeling and was almost - not almost - I was, jealous.  I wanted what they were feeling!

Fast forward a few years.  During an online Bible study, with nobody present, I felt the brilliance of God's face on me.  With the study book on one side of me, and the Bible on the other, I looked at the screen and realized that God was talking to me - just to me.  The beauty of God's face was shining on me, long after when "I" thought it should have.  His beauty came to me in a gradual way, building on the foundations that He had provided me.  

Faith in our God is a growth opportunity.  We can't flip our faith on like a switch - like the colors of autumn on the big trees at their peak.  Our faith needs to grow, it needs to mature, it needs to become a gradual beauty.  Through events such as worship and Bible studies, our faith continues to grow and gradually matures.  Much like the pear tree, our faith will become radiant when God feels it is time.  At that time, we will be able to marvel in His wondrous ways!  

Our Christian maturity is fostered by the faith events and life events that surround us.  Situations around us help to develop our faith and reliance on Our Father in a way only He can navigate.  Yet, we have a job to do along our Christian maturity - we need to participate.  We need to participate in those faith builders such as worship, study, outreach, prayer, etc.  Those events help us to gain the gradual beauty that faith in God can only provide.  Join me and others building our gradual beauty in Christ.  Participate and grow in God - He will show you how very good faith in him can be!

Heavenly Father, rest on my heart and help me to participate in events around me that will provide me the opportunity to see the gradual beauty of believing in you.  Guide me to faith events and help me to live out the life events you give me to gain a faith that continues to grow.  In your gracious name I pray.  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.