Sunday, November 25, 2018

Solace

"Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him."  Psalm 62:1 (NIV)

As we started clearing our Thanksgiving tables of all that food, the holiday season began.  Before we knew it, stores were opening their doors to "Black Friday" sales and the Internet started humming with online buyers.  Houses began donning Christmas decorations and the Christmas carols were playing.  Yes, the holiday season has begun.

Those closest to me know that I started decorating and singing Christmas carols long before Thanksgiving.  Yes, I do love this time of year.  Yet, as we all know, this time of year can be very stressful.  There are presents to buy and parties to attend.  There are cookies to bake and decorations to put up.  Add on top of that piling bills, and what should seem like a wonderful time of year can turn into stress and turmoil.

I was at that "stress place" for many years.  It didn't matter if I did my shopping in August, come December, everything seemed to take on a life of its own.  No matter how much planning I did, the world was upon my shoulders.  Often times, I found myself crying in a corner, wondering how I was going to get it all done.  The worst part was that I felt that Christ was no longer the center of Christmas, and that brought upon its own level of guilt.  

Can any of you relate?  For many, the stress of Christmas has taken the entire meaning of this special day out of the picture.  One night, as I was reflecting on how life had spun out of control, I realized that I had nobody to blame but myself - and nobody could fix this but me!  It was time to focus on the Babe of Bethlehem!!  I committed to focusing on my one true savior, Jesus.  I found a Christmas devotional and ensured that no matter how busy my days got, I spent a few moments with Him, the One this holiday season was meant for.  As I did this, the Psalm for today started living itself out in my life.  I found rest in those devotions.  I found peace.  I found Christ!  

I have to admit, it wasn't a magic switch.  I don't know about you, but turning my mind off can be difficult.  Yet, I focused on what I was receiving when I gave my full attention to Jesus - and those rewards were far better than any Christmas gift.  It changed my focus of the season.    I would pass by the nativity scene and linger.  I paid attention to the words of those Christmas carols.  As I sat in church, my face was focused on the cross.  Taking advantage of the moments in my day that presented itself with Christ helped to bring back Jesus to my heart.  God is so good!  

As we prepare ourselves for this Advent season, I encourage you to find that special way to spend time with Jesus.  Maybe it is a devotional you can put on your phone. Maybe it is a special book.  Maybe it is time with your Bible open.  However you may find a way, bring Christ back into a busy season.  I promise you the blessings will be all yours.

PS - Our Advent series this year will focus on Christmas Carols and Hymns.

Dearest Jesus, help me to open my hands, my head and my heart to you.  Bring me ways by which I can focus on your everlasting love this Advent season.  As my days become busy, help me to take time to re-energize with the one that makes this season possible - YOU JESUS!  Slow down my hands, be still my head and open my heart to you.  In your heavenly name I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.