Sunday, December 16, 2018

The Manger Scene

"and she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn."  Luke 2:7 KJV

For ten years, Miss Marcia and I taught pre-school Sunday School.  On many different levels, this experience was a true blessing and will always be in my heart.  Although there were many memorable Bible stories, nothing was better than "readying" the class for the Christmas pageant.  Our class was always assigned the singing of "Away in a Manger."  Be still my heart as we dressed those precious little ones into costumes of angels and lambs and got them to the front of the church for their big moment. 

There was a reason why that time was so important to me.  Yes, the children, the setting, and the smiles were awesome.  Yet, it was the song we got to sing.  To me, that song epitomizes the nativity scene.  It is at the nativity scene where we realize that God bestowed upon us His greatest gift - His son being born of a virgin.  That scene helps me to realize, each and every year, the love God has for me, for you, for us.  Not only did He give us His son, but did so in the most humble of ways. 

Jesus was teaching us, from the very beginning, how we should humble ourselves among others.  Jesus was teaching us, from the very beginning, how we can love others so simply.
Jesus was teaching us, from the very beginning, how to have faith.

The blessings of this scene, of this song, brings the greatest of joys - the joy that our Savior came to us.  All He asks of us is to believe, to have faith, and to repent.  The rest is left in His humble and loving arms.  What a blessing we have in those arms!  

Away in a manger
No crib for His bed
The little Lord Jesus
Lay down His sweet head
The stars in the sky
Look down where He lay
The little Lord Jesus
Asleep on the hay
The cattle are lowing
The poor Baby wakes
But little Lord Jesus
No crying He makes
I love Thee, Lord Jesus
Look down from the sky
And stay by my side
'Til morning is nigh
Be near me, Lord Jesus
I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever
And love me, I pray
Bless all the dear children
In Thy tender care
And take us to Heaven
To live with Thee there

The words in each verse helps us to see Jesus as human, being with us, close to us, taking care of us.  As we sing these words this Christmas season, may we feel Jesus' arms around us, His children, and know that we are loved.



Heavenly Father, we thank you for sending Jesus to us in such a miraculous way.  Knowing that Jesus came to earth as human, just for us, makes us feel your love ever so more.  Help us to not only feel that love, but to share that love with others.  In your loving arms we give ourselves.  Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.