Sunday, December 23, 2018

The Most Silent of Nights

"Glory to God in the Highest, and on Earth, peace, good will toward men."
Luke 2:14 (KJV)

It's Christmas Eve, the candles are lit, and we begin to sing Silent Night.  Every Christmas Eve my family takes bets on how long it will take for me to cry.  Typically, I never make it past the first few lines before the tears start.  They are tears for many reasons.

     Tears of joy that my family, for a moment in time, are seated peacefully around me.
     Tears of Christmases past, where my heart may have been heavy and peace was restored.
     Tears of love gone too soon, in memory of my father whose favorite Christmas carol was this one.
     Tears of hope that this special night brings.

This particular carol, no matter where it plays, has always found home in my heart.  I believe it is because of the reverence it brings to all who hear it.  There is a calmness that blankets itself around those that hear it.  Everything slows down to capture the words so lovingly penned many years ago.  It exudes peace - the peace that the Christ child brought to this Earth for all.  It is that peace that brings my heart to Christ.

Our lives are not always filled with peace.  Whether it is conflict with family or friends.  Whether it is worry of finances or health concerns.  Whether it is loved ones gone from us too soon or loved ones living far away.  Many of these situations cause us to believe that peace is far away.  Take a seat with me.  Turn on the song below.  Listen to the cherished words given to us.  Imagine yourself there at Jesus' birth - the peace that enveloped Mary and Joseph on that special night.  May that peace wash over you so you can feel Jesus' love.

Silent night, holy night
All is calm, all is bright
'Round yon virgin Mother and Child
Holy infant so tender and mild
Sleep in heavenly peace
Sleep in heavenly peace
Silent night, holy night!
Shepherds quake at the sight!
Glories stream from heaven afar;
Heavenly hosts sing Al-le-lu-ia!
Christ the Savior is born!
Christ the Savior is born!
Silent night, holy night
Son of God, oh, loves pure light
Radiant beams from Thy holy face
With the dawn of redeeming grace
Jesus, Lord at Thy birth
Jesus, Lord at Thy birth
May Christmas this year bring you the peace of that Silent Night, the peace that passes all understanding, the peace of Jesus.  I pray each of you reading this has a blessed Christmas.



Heavenly Father, bless everyone this Christmas in what they need so that their hearts may be filled with peace.  Grant serenity and understanding, love and joy, hope and grace to all.  We thank you, God, for the truly greatest gift this world has ever received, the gift of Jesus.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.