Sunday, November 17, 2019

Taking for Granted

"And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."  Colossians 3:17

It is November, and certainly a time for all of us to spend time reflecting on the many things that we are thankful for.  I remember, when the children were all home, we would make a paper chain of thanks.  Each night in November, each member of the family would write on a slip of paper what they were thankful for and we would make a chain that would run through the kitchen and into our eating area.  It was such a great way to see the many blessings we had.

Yet, the other day, another question was shared with me that really had me pondering.  A fellow colleague asked a group of people not what they were thankful for, but to name two things that they take for granted.  She shared that the answers were far reaching and really helped the team to see that there is so very much we take for granted.

The more I thought about this, the more I realized that my own thoughts of what I take for granted became a large list - a list of things that I don't typically give thanks for.  How about you?  Ponder on this question for a few minutes and think of all the things we truly do take for granted on a regular basis.  Yes, we may appreciate it more when we don't have it for a short period of time, but on a regular basis?  A few that came to my mind . . .
  • Running water
  • Electricity
  • Farmers who provide us nutritious food
  • Eyes to see with, ears to hear with, hands to create with, etc.
  • Car that works
Although above are only a few things, when you really start to focus on what we take for granted, the list can be long.  Maybe there are even people in your life who you take for granted.  

  • A neighbor who always helps you around the house
  • The clerk that smiles each time you check out
  • The crossing guard ensuring our children pass to school safely
  • The nurse that gives an encouraging word
  • A pastor who holds your hand during difficult times
  • Could it even be your parent, your spouse or your child?
Taking for granted the things and people in our lives is an area where we all can be better.  I know there are many things and people that I may take for granted, and that this question will be at the forefront of my mind more often.  Unfortunately, the one that I take for granted often is our Dear Jesus.  My salvation depended upon him giving up his life for me and for my sins.  He thought about me and loved me so much that he gave up everything for me.  

There are days, when life gets busy, that I don't give him the attention he greatly deserves.  I have things on my mind so I don't do my devotion in the morning.  The day is busy and I don't chat with him about meetings and decisions I have.  I rush through grace at dinner because I'm tired.  Bedtime prayers?  Too exhausted . . .  All of these are excuses.  They also don't paint a great picture of gratitude and thanksgiving that my Heavenly Father deserves.  May I spend more time with my Jesus and may I NEVER take for granted all that he did for me and gave to me!!

Dearest Jesus, during this month where we focus on Thanksgiving, may I spend time reflecting on what I take for granted.  Help me to spend time giving thanks for those things that I have become complacent with.  May I always reach out to you with praise and thanksgiving - putting you first in all that I do.  Help me, Jesus, to show you the love that you so graciously showed me.  In your name I pray.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.