Sunday, May 31, 2020

Help Us


Help Me!  Help Us!  I can't even begin to tell you the number of times those words have been prayed from my lips.  Sometimes, those words have been whispered.  Other times, they were wailed at the top of my lungs.  It may have been something small, like needing some help with planting my garden.  It may have been something large, like navigating cancer.  I find myself saying those words often, especially in the most desperate situations.  Life can throw us times when we know we can't handle it on our own.

It seems like our world is facing desperate situations.  Whether something small or large, every day seems as if it is providing us another circumstance we need to guide our way through.  Illness, death, destruction, financial difficulties, etc.  Now more than ever, our need for help is great.  We may be trying to deal with something individually, within our families, among friends, or as a nation.  We may be wondering how we will make it through.  There are times when we can feel very much alone.

Whenever I have prayed those words, Help Me, I never felt alone.  Although my prayer situation was at a desperate times, I knew I had the Holy Spirit with me, my little part of Jesus that is always there for me.  As Jesus was preparing his disciples for His return to His heavenly father, He gave them a wonderful gift, the Holy Spirit.  This is the same gift we have also received from Jesus.

The Holy Spirit - our advocate, our comforter.  The one who is always with us!  When we think about all that Jesus did while He was on this Earth, it can be hard for us, 2000 years later, to feel His presence.  I know on many occasions, I have wanted Jesus to be sitting next to me, holding my hand.  Then I remember, He is - the Holy Spirit is always with me.  I recently read an article that shared that the Holy Spirit does from the inside what Jesus did on the outside.  I love that picture.

The Holy Spirit holds me close, guides my way, brings me strength, provides me courage, and gives me hope.  What a great gift Jesus left us with as He headed home.  These can be desperate times and, as the saying goes, can lead to desperate measures.  I truly believe our only desperate measure should be one we make a daily habit - crying out to our Lord for His help, His guidance and His love.  He is waiting to hear from us and the Holy Spirit is there to guide us towards Him.  It's time, everyone.  It's time to raise up our voices for help.  We cannot manage through all of this alone, but the very good news is we don't have to.  We have a loving Lord who is waiting to help us and be with us - forever!

Holy Spirit, thank you for being inside of us and guiding us to our Lord.  Bring us the comfort and peace we need.  Show us where to turn for our answers and may we follow in the footsteps of Jesus, loving each other and showing each other we care.  Bring us peace and comfort in these difficult times.   In your comforting name we pray, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.