Sunday, September 20, 2020

Grab Hold

 




I was watching a little one with their parent the other day.  She was a toddler, stretching her "adventure" muscles.  She would wander a few steps ahead of mom, and then look back to grab hold of her finger.  Once she felt the security, she would then release and proceed exercising her adventure muscles.  Yes, a flood of memories returned to when the children were small and would do the same thing.  I always found it fascinating how they knew I would be there, just as this mama was, to grab hold of in assurance.

Often there have been times I have done the same thing, grabbing hold of something or someone when I found a certain adventure just a bit too risky, or when I didn't have enough assurance that the journey I embarked on would come to fruition.  There were times when I would reach back to my parents for their affirmation that I was making the right decisions.  Other times, I reached out to my husband for the strength and confidence I needed to move forward.  Each time, my I would look to grab hold of something familiar as I sought the unfamiliar.

As much as I love my parents and husband, there have been times where their security has not been enough.  Their loving words and assurance still left me empty and seeking the path.  It wasn't until I grabbed hold of the One who knows my path that I found comfort.  It wasn't until I reached out to the Creator of my journey, did I find peace.  These adventures are not always easy.  In fact, they have been down right scary.  What I have come to realize, though, is when I grab hold to God, my adventure ends with joy.

When I reach out to God in the unfamiliar, I find:
  • Hope - My hope is rooted in the trust I have in God's hand for my life.  Rejoicing in that hope means that I know, without any doubt, that the path before me is in the best hands - God's hands.  
  • Patience - Not my strongest characteristic, but one that seems to be strengthened when I turn to God.  I have yet to find any path that is "smooth sailing".  There are turbulent seas in every journey.  Yet, when I ride those storms with God, the end of the journey is much more satisfying than when I have tried to veer off His path and follow my own.
  • Prayer - My lifeline to God is in prayer.  He becomes the one I talk with like an old friend.  When I pour out my soul to my Lord, everything in my life becomes "well with my soul".  Prayer, for me, may not even have words.  Many times, it's being silent and letting God penetrate my heart and soul, and listening to His response.
The next time our lives find us in unfamiliar territory, whether it is a medical diagnosis, a new relationship, a turn in our careers, or a time for reflection, I ask that we grab hold of the One that can fill our souls and bring us to our destination.  Grab hold of Jesus - He's waiting to provide us His blessed assurance.

Dearest Lord, thank you for always being there to provide me hope in all unfamiliar situations.  May I always rely on your love for my life and find solace in that.  Bring me patience when things don't seem to be moving in the direction "I" anticipate and let me come to you in prayer for peace.  Amen!




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.