Sunday, September 13, 2020

Honor

 


Pick and choose.  When I was a kid, pick and choose meant everything from the type of candy at the penny candy counter to which apple I wanted.  As I became older, it began to mean things such as friends, jobs, battles, etc.  Certainly long gone are the days that pick and choose meant bubble gum over a lollipop.  I long for those days.  Decisions seemed easier - but then again, I was seven.  As we age, the challenges that are before us and the decisions we make seem to increase in intensity.

Age tends to put different perspectives in front of us.  What and who used to be important in our lives may not present itself with the same importance.  As I grow older, I find myself and others that I talk with, stating, "If they don't like the way I am - that's fine.  I don't need to spend time or energy with them," or "Their drama is just too much for me", etc.  You know the old adage, I'll spend my energy with the people that make me happy.

I've been a firm believer in that last statement.  Then I read this verse and it challenged me to think differently.  Be devoted to others in love, honor others above me.  I try to do that - with the people I want to spend my time and energy on.  Yet, that's not what Paul is asking from us.  It's certainly not what Jesus wants from us.  

Loving others, honoring others - it's not about who "I" choose to enter my path, but who God has chosen to enter my path.  Yes, that means that I should consider that with ALL people that God puts in front of me, not just the people I want to spend my time and energy on.  So who am I actually supposed to honor above me?

  • I should honor everyone from the person who gets my coffee in the morning to the person taking my dinner order.
  • I should honor the difficult person who continually argues with me along with the person who "gets me" and my opinion.
  • I should honor the mama in front of me at the grocery store trying to calm her babies to the elderly person walking slowly throughout the store while I'm racing around the aisles.
Jesus doesn't ask us to honor just those that we "want" to have in our lives, but asks us to honor ALL that come into our lives.  I certainly have a bit of work to do in that area.  You?  I try very hard to show love, devotion and honor to those closest to me - family and friends.  Yet, we are supposed to be like Jesus as much as we can and he certainly showed honor to all those around him - even the non-believers.  How much it must take for God to honor us?  We are sinners.  Every day we commit sins that are against the way He wants us to live our lives.  Yet, He loves and honors us - so much that He gave Jesus to wipe our sins away.  

It's time for a new way of looking at ALL people around us.  They may not be in our "inner circle" of family and friends, but they are to be honored and loved.  One gesture, one smile, one prayer; all those actions can lead to the life Jesus has asked us to live.  Of all times in our history, now is the time to stand up and honor each and every person we meet - with respect and love - just as our Savior has done for us.

Dearest Jesus, help me to be more like you.  Help me to set aside "my thinking" and grow to be more like you.  My I love, honor and respect all those in my path and may my actions reflect those thoughts.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.