Sunday, October 25, 2020

Breath

 


It had been a trying day, filled with deadlines and interruptions.  As dusk filled the sky, I realized the day had passed and I just couldn't seem to relax.  With my phone in hand, I went out to the deck to sit in the fresh air.  I opened the Calm app on my phone.  Yes, it seems as if they have an app for everything.  This one, in case you aren't familiar with it, provides a variety of ways to help one relax.  As I open the app, the first thing it says is, "take a deep breath".  

The next ten minutes finds the woman talking me through a calming meditation, focusing on my breath.  "Breathe in, breathe out - focus on each breath," she says.  As I do this, I realize that I am relaxing.  By focusing on my breath and sitting in a relaxed position, I found my shoulders easing of pain and the stress leaving my body.  After ten minutes, I felt less drained and more "alive".  

As dusk turned into darkness, my thoughts took me to my Lord, who truly breathed life into me.  Not only did He give me physical life, more importantly, He breathed life into my soul.  By turning my thoughts to Him that evening, I realized that each breath I take is a gift from Him.  As our Dear Lord breathed life into the dry bones so long ago, He also breathes life into me today.  He fills me up with the breath of faith in Him, brings my soul to life, and gives me hope.  One breath from God gives me life.

My thoughts also took me to Jesus' last breath.  "Jesus called out with a loud voice, 'Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.'  When he had said this, he breathed his last."  Luke 23:46.  This may have been Jesus' last breath before he died, but as we all know, it wasn't His last.  His last breath became our first breath.  By Jesus dying on the cross for us, we can breath in the knowledge of knowing we will see Him in paradise.  Our breath in Christ helps us to relax and be calm, knowing that when our last breath on Earth occurs, our life with Jesus begins.

Breath is necessary for all living.  On Earth, it is necessary for us to have physical life.  Yet, the breath of faith in our Lord and Savior brings us such greater life - the life everlasting.  The next time I need to relax, I will take a deep breath - and know that my life comes from God.  Will you join me?

Heavenly Father, thank you for giving us the breath of life.  May we all breathe in the knowledge that our breath comes from you and gives us physical AND eternal life.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.