Sunday, February 21, 2021

Gift of Grace

 


The past few days, my husband and I spent some time away.  We moved past the walls of our home and explored Lake Placid NY and a tiny cottage we rented there.  Those few days were certainly a blessing as we unwound from the daily pressures of work and refocused on us.  It was as if we received a gift!  On the ride home, we reflected on those few days and the joy it brought us. 

As we enter this Lenten season, I asked myself what I could reflect upon that would bring value to this important time.  Immediately, my mind moved towards the gifts that Jesus brought while He was on Earth.  During the next 6 weeks of Lent, we will explore some of the many gifts Jesus gives to us.

This week, we will focus on grace.  Many times, I have looked up the difference between grace and mercy.  Preparing for this post was no different!  In doing so, I found wonderful definitions for grace.  One was, “grace is when we get something we don’t deserve”.  That certainly explains Jesus in my life and the bounty of grace that He has given to me.  Another definition was “undeserved favor”.  Both definitions helped me to realize that everything I have I have because of Jesus.  Love, joy, happiness, health, and even the material things, are all because Jesus has grace over me.

Where does grace come from?  As shared in 2 Timothy, grace comes from Jesus.  Therefore, grace begins by knowing Jesus and living in His light.  God will share richly, but we need to remember the expense by which that grace is bestowed upon us.  Jesus gave up everything for us.  If we believe in Jesus, we can live boldly knowing that He will give to us all that we need.  His grace is upon us!

When we realize how much God’s grace has been given to us, it makes us want to give grace to others.  It makes us want to work hard to be the best people Jesus knows we can be.  When God’s grace flows over us, our reaction should be to want to do more, to want to give more, to want to rejoice more.  Although the grace that is given to us is unconditional, it does not mean that we should rest on our laurels.  That grace should inspire us to be better and shine God’s light brighter.

As we enter this season of Lent, may the grace of God be the beacon that others see in us!

Dearest Jesus, your gifts abound as we reflect upon all you have given to us.  Grace is the bounty of goodness you have given to us although, as sinners, we certainly do not deserve.  May we always keep that in our hearts as we go about our days, doing your will.  In your giving name we pray, Amen.


2 comments:

  1. A good reminder that we can't earn our way into Heaven, it is only by God's grace that we will someday get there.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.