Sunday, February 14, 2021

Kindness in Love

 


Valentine’s Day.  There are so many mixed emotions on Valentine’s Day.  Some believe it is wonderful.  Others feel it is “commercialized”.  Many celebrate it, others are depressed by it.  Often, it is where one is on this journey called life that can dictate one’s response to this holiday.  When I was growing up, my father REVELED in this holiday.  It was a non-stop day of celebrating our family’s love.  Presents were perfectly selected.  Happiness was spread throughout the day.  Yet, it was the dinner that brought it all together.  My dad and brother would plan for weeks on the perfect dinner.  All three courses carefully laid out on a beautiful menu that adorned each place setting as we entered the dining experience.  We never went out for dinner – we always had dinner at home on that special day.  Between the two of them, a wonderful appetizer and dinner were prepared.  Dessert?  Typically, something fun – a huge chocolate chip cookie in the shape of a heart or our all-time favorite, a Twinkie with whipped cream and a cherry on top.  Fond memories.

As the years marched forward, there were Valentine’s Days where I found myself alone, without someone special in my life.  Those days I felt like God was never going to provide ‘the perfect one’ for me to share my life with.  God and I would chat much on those days, with me begging him to bring along the right person.  Those days were sad days for me – clinging onto the image of my perfect Valentine. 

Today, I have the love of my life.  If I had the opportunity to go back in time, I would tell my younger self that love does not always have to lie with the ‘right’ person.  The greatest gift we can give each other, and ourselves, is kindness – kindness in love.  When we spread the gift of kindness to those around us, it is truly God in us – magnified through a gift that can touch each person.  Devoting ourselves to each other in kindness, honoring one another with dignity and grace, provides the richness of God’s love to be seen by others.  God created us to love each other.  By sharing the gift, He so richly gave us, we are sharing God’s love with all. 

Not only can we share outwardly, but we can reflect inwardly.  Reflect upon the love Jesus gave to us – the ultimate gift of unconditional love.  Think about the blessings He has brought upon each of us, blessings filled with His love.  Sit back, close your eyes, and know that Jesus’ loving arms are wrapped around you – holding you close to him.  That, my friends, is true love.

Whether we have someone to call “valentine” or not, it should not stop us from making this day, and every day, about the kindness we can share with each other.  Find something – that one thing – that you can do today to let God’s gift of love shine upon another.  In doing so, you will take this day to a new level, a level that says, “God’s love reigns”!  I guarantee it will be a day filled of love for you too. 

Dearest Jesus, help us to show kindness to others.  May we spread the love you so generously give to us to all those who need to feel your loving arms around them.  In your loving name we pray, Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.