Sunday, October 10, 2021

Beauty of Friendship

 


Forty years.  That is a long time for about anything, but for a friendship?  I would say that is a long time.  I have been blessed with a friend I have had for forty years.  In forty years, a lot happens.  In our case there were our own weddings, a divorce, multiple children being born, children being married and grandchildren.   There were health issues, relationship issues, and parents’ passing.  This weekend I got to see my friend of nearly forty years.

Much has kept us from seeing each other, especially these past few years.  I am sure many of you can relate as well.  During the pandemic, many of us refrained from seeing friends.  We had our ‘circle’ and we stayed within it, ensuring that our families would stay safe.   It was a ‘drought’ of friends’ time.  I missed it.   I am extremely fortunate that I have a wonderful husband who is truly my deepest friend.  Yet chatting with others warms my soul. 

During the ‘friend drought’, I had to remember that the greatest friend I have has been with me for a long time – longer than even 40 years.  This friend is with me every day, supporting me, listening to me, not just warming my soul but filling my soul.  This friend guides me, holds me close, and listens to me day or night.  Who is this friend?  Jesus!  His friendship is deeper and wider than any friendship I could have on earth.  The hymn, “What a Friend We Have in Jesus” so wonderfully depicts this friendship.  My favorite verse:

Can we find a friend so faithful
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness
Take it to the Lord in prayer

Jesus wants us to be his friend; he invites us to this holy friendship.  I feel so honored to be in His friendship ring and that He calls me by name.  He lovingly shares all of God’s secrets with us.  He gives us Scripture that we can peak into those secrets and hold them close to us.  Jesus gives us an opportunity to be with him any time we need him.  What a gift and blessing of true friendship He has given to us.

These past six months many people have, once again, gathered with friends.  Laughter, hugs, memories, are now being shared around a table versus on face time.  The ‘drought’ is starting to wane, and our lives are filling up again.  The next time you have the privilege of sitting next to a friend, let them know how important they are to you.  Warm their souls.  Then when it is quiet, and you have a moment, thank Jesus for His friendship; for always being there no matter the worldly conditions.  His love and friendship last an eternity.

 Dearest Jesus, thank you for blessing us with friends.  As we begin to gather with our friends again, let us be reminded of your friendship with us.  You never leave us.  You sit next to us and share in our earthly situations.  You guide us and love us.  Thank you for letting me always come to you!!  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.