Sunday, October 22, 2023

Bring the Light

 


We drove along as the rain pelted against the windshield. We had been looking forward to this weekend getaway ‘up north.’ In New Hampshire, this typically means north of Lake Winnipesaukee. For us, it meant Jackson. It is a quaint small village outside the town of North Conway. During peak fall foliage season, this area sees bumper to bumper traffic as people from across the country flock to see the beautiful colors of the White Mountains. It is a sight to be seen. We were arriving past peak. The crowds would be long gone, but the muted colors could still be seen.

Although the rain lasted from Friday afternoon through Sunday, it did not stop us from doing the things we loved – taking a walk on the Jackson oval, shopping at the local outlets, taking a train ride through the woods, and driving through the mountain roads. At one point, the trees created a canopy over the small country roads. The dark, dismal, dreary day seemed to take a sidestep to the canopy of yellow that covered our path. It was amazing! The total aura around us changed from darkness to brightness. It was as if the yellow leaves of the trees were brightening our dark drive, reminding us that there would be brighter days ahead.

This moment quickly reminded me of our verse for today. Our lives can be filled with darkness. The darkness can stem from the world around us. Warring nations, violence, corruption, and death can create days where darkness seems to be at every turn. The darkness can also be closer to home. Tough medical conditions, difficult relationships, financial dismay, our sinful nature, and a death of a loved one can bring darkness to our days as well. It can be daunting to find any type of light when our world is so dark.

My friends, our world has light! The light we need is found in the word of our Heavenly Father. There, we can hold close His promise for light in our darkness. God shares with us a path that brings us hope, joy and love. So often, it can be hard for us to see that light. We wake up in darkness and go to bed in darkness.

When my days are filled with darkness, I go to the One that brings light to our darkest days. I can find Him in many ways. I can open the Bible and read a favorite verse that brings hope.   I will turn on a Christian station that shares music to lift our souls. Sometimes I call a friend to gain encouragement.  Siting in a church pew and looking at the cross also brings me light.  The greatest moments of light are usually found when I fold my hands and talk to God.

During moments of darkness and despair, our hope can only be found in the One that gives us everlasting hope, God.  Share with Him your darkness. Share with Him your despair. Give to Him your rain and watch him enfold you in a canopy of yellow leaves, bringing you light and love!

Dearest God, thank you for giving to me the light I need in the darkness. Help me to call out your name so you can shine your light and let me know my hope is in you. In your everlasting brightness I pray, Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.