Sunday, October 8, 2023

Same & Different

 


I’m a leaf connoisseur.   I admit it.  I have a true obsession with autumn and in autumn I mean the changing of the leaves.  This obsession started long ago, but it hasn’t waned as the years have passed.  In fact, I believe it has become stronger.  I watch, with an eagle eye, trees from the middle of August on.  You can ask my husband, I will point out the ones that start early, the ones that are late, the ones that have vibrant colors and ones that are more muted.  This year is no exception, except that the colors seem to be even more vivacious.  I can’t even explain to you how it excites my heart!

This year, as I examine each tree and that tree’s leaves, I’m noticing something a bit different.  Not only does one tree have different color leaves on it, but there are also same leaves that have different colors on them.  It happens some years and seeing it this year brings a newness to the entire autumn celebration.  Trees that you may expect to shine with brilliance in yellow seem to have their own radiant yellow, orange, and red hues.  It is God’s paintbrush at its finest!

Same and different.  The thought brought me back to the Holy Trinity.  All are the same God, yet they are all different.  God as the Father, God as the Son, God as the Holy Spirit.  God presenting himself in three ways to fill our souls and free us from sin.  Same, but different.  Not an easy concept to grasp and there are certainly still times when I struggle with it.  One thing is true – God is ever present in every part of the Holy Trinity. 

It may be a reason why today’s passage filled my soul.  God that is with each of us can present himself differently among us.  The distributor of gifts and blessings gives to each of us.  We don’t all receive the same gifts.  We don’t all receive the same blessings.  We aren’t all asked to serve God the same way.  The one God, the same God we all believe in provides differences to us – in who we are, what we do and what we have.  Same, but different.

I know I have asked myself several times throughout my life, “How can __________ be blessed in this way, but I’m not?”, “How can _________ receive this spiritual gift, but I don’t have that gift?”  These questions can come to mind in many experiences throughout life.  When I turn to God for answers, these verses come to mind.  We have One God who shares blessings and gifts.  Those blessings and gifts need to be different to accomplish his work.  The joy comes in the same – the same God that loves us, the same Jesus that forgives our sins, the same Holy Spirit working within us.  Same and different, living in perfect harmony.

When we find our minds wandering about God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, may it all come back to the same God in different forms.  May we delight in the differences we all have with each other, knowing it all comes from the same loving & eternal God.

Dearest God, thank you for always being the same, yet different!  Knowing you will always love us, forgive us, and rejoice when we enter heaven’s gates, yet provide us with difference experiences helps me to know you are always with me.  Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.