Sunday, May 4, 2014

Freedom For All

 
 
 
Today I am in lovely Washington, DC.  This city absolutely amazes me with all of its beauty, charm, and history. I was also blessed with wonderful weather, which was truly the icing on the cake.  Although here for business, I took this morning to re-explore some of my favorite spots.  One of them is the walk from the Smithsonian museums to the Lincoln Memorial.  As I was walking, a trumpet was playing - of all songs - Beautiful Savior.  I couldn't help but smile and thank God for the day that He had given me.
 
Along the way is the World War II Memorial.  I was here once when this memorial was being built.  It was difficult to imagine at the time what that memorial was actually going to look like, but through the work of many people, it is a beautiful spot to pay tribute to all those who served in this historic war.
 
Part of the memorial is the following saying, etched in stone:
                                                       Here We Mark the Price of Freedom
 
As I read those words over and over again, it was hard not to imagine all the soldiers that fought, all the military personnel who helped this effort, and certainly all of the families that were effected by this war.  Along with great triumph, there was a great price.  Many lives were lost or changed forever.  Such a huge price to pay for the freedoms we have.  Thank you just doesn't seem to say enough for all that our military does for US citizens.  As US citizens, we in turn have a responsibility to our country - to be good citizens to each other.
 
I couldn't help but think of another who paid the price for us, for me.  Our Lord Jesus, who fought an historic fight as well - one that came with a great price.  He exchanged His life for our freedom; our freedom from a life of sin, our freedom from hell, our freedom to join Him in Paradise.  Through his death on the cross, our lives are now free.  Once again, thank you just doesn't seem to say enough for all that Jesus did for us.  We also have a responsibility to Jesus - to love Him, to worship Him, to share the good news that He died for each of us. 
 
Freedom comes in many different shapes and sizes.  Through the incredible efforts of our military, we are afforded freedom in the United States - freedom that other countries will never experience.  Through the incredible effort of our Savior Jesus, we are afforded freedom in our souls - and a promise to live with Him in Paradise.  So, as we put our heads on the pillow tonight, I encourage all of us to give thanks and pray for those who serve our country.  Yes, maybe I should have saved these thoughts for Memorial Day - but we should be grateful every day for those who serve.  As well, as you put your head on the pillow tonight, let us not forget to thank our Savior for the freedom he provides to us from sin.  The price He paid was high, just like our soldiers.  Yet, our freedom is immeasurable. 
 
"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.  Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves  be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."  (NIV) Galatians 5:1
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.