Sunday, August 12, 2018

Family Reunion


"And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."  John 14:3 (NIV)

When our family gets back together, it is a precious time.  Our children, now young adults, all have lives of their own - therefore, these times are few and far between.  A couple of weeks ago, our son returned from deployment and we were expecting him to return to New Hampshire.  This meant that our family would rally around and all come together to celebrate.  We prepared by cooking, cleaning and scheduling to ensure everyone was available.  We all waited anxiously for his truck to come into the driveway.  I have to admit, I didn't even wait for him to come into the house - I ran out of the house to greet him.  Almost felt like the father in the parable of the prodigal son!  

The weekend has been filled with the children (now young adults) speaking of childhood memories and all the fun that they have had over the past years.  It warmed this mama's heart to hear them speak of such great times. When our family reunites, it is as if we haven't skipped a beat.  I'm sure many of you experience the same feelings.  Everyone "fits right in" to hugs, smiles, joking, laughing and a room of love.  I long for those moments, and cherish as the family settles into a few hours of familiarity.  There is a great deal of joy and love that encompasses those times.   All the preparation resulted in happy times and more memories made to hold us over until the next time we are together.

It reminded me of the joy we will all feel when we reunite with our Heavenly Father.  Just as I prepared for our son's arrival, Jesus is preparing for us to arrive as well.  As shared in our verse for today, he is preparing a place for us.  He is looking as forward to our reunion with him as we do when we reunion with family.  To be honest, I'm looking forward to that day as well.  The wonderful song by Mercy Me, "I Can Only Imagine", states it all so perfectly.  Although I'm not sure what will come, with simple faith I am confident that it will be glorious.  

How can we compare our family reunions to the reunion we will have with Christ?  Because we are His family - we are His children who will be returning home to Him.  When we share our memories of the goodness and blessings He has provided to us it is just like the memories we share between our family members.  Talking to Jesus and letting Him know how much we are grateful for those memories is part of our constant connection to Him.  

As we reunite with families here on earth, whether it is with members far away or close by, cherish each of those times.  Reflect on the goodness and focus on the love.  I encourage you as well, to spend time with Jesus, reflecting on the goodness He provides and talking about the day we will be able to spend time face to face in paradise!!

"Heavenly Father, thank you for family reunions.  We appreciate the opportunities you give us to gather around the table and speak of times of love.  Let us also look forward to the family reunion we will have with you in paradise.  We can only imagine how wonderful that day will be.  In your name we pray.  Amen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.