Sunday, August 19, 2018

Interviewing

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:10 (NIV)

This past week I had the pleasure of conducting interviews for my company.  We are reviewing people that will help to make our company successful.  Even as the person who is doing the interview, I prepare quite a bit for these times.  

Then I think about the people that are in front of me.  They have also prepared.  Typically, they have done research on the company.  With all of the social media available, I'm certain they also reviewed opportunities to research us on LinkedIn and Glassdoor.  Yet, I know the most preparation must have come in anticipating what types of questions we would ask and how they would answer them.  As with any interview, this can be the most daunting part for an interviewee.  Part of my job is to make them comfortable enough to reveal character traits and experiences.

As the candidates entered the room, I watched as each sat a certain way, took out items in order to take notes, and we began the process.  Ultimately, we are trying to determine the strengths that they may bring to the position as well as the gaps that they may have.  The best candidate will be asked to join our organization - in that job offer they will have a future with a great company and hope for themselves and their families.

As I was flying home thinking of my interviews that day, my thoughts turned to myself.  I am fortunate to not have to interview for a job right now, but if I did, who would I interview with?  Then I thought, "I would love to have a full time job for God"!  That drew my thoughts, to a scenario - what if I had an interview with God?  What would be my strengths and gaps?  Would I measure up to be able to join the organization?

The flurry of thinking started.  I have had some experiences in my life that have been able to show God that I want to be part of His kingdom.  I am hoping that my responses to people and situations have shown my faith.  Yet, certainly not always.  As I looked at the gaps that I have to enter His kingdom, that list started to grow.  I am not always a faithful prayer servant.  I try, but I know I'm not as good as I should be.  I am not always the perfect giver.  Again, I try, but I know there are times when I find excuses when I should just move forward in doing.  I don't always choose the right words or the right thoughts.  I am certainly not always patient.  Yes, my gaps were much greater than my strengths when thinking about entering God's organization.

Glory be to God that I don't have to have all the gaps filled to "get the job"!!  Jesus took all my sins, all my gaps, all my doubts, and all my fears and said to me "Your hope and your future is in me, Susan!"  As in our verse for today, I know that his plans will bring me into the best job anyone can have, being a faithful servant for God.  I may not have all the qualifications and I certainly don't have all the behaviors necessary to succeed with God.  The best part is God doesn't care.  God will take me just as I am to be in His kingdom.  I have the greatest job in the world, here and in eternity!!

Looking for a new job can be stressful.  Sometimes we aren't sure if we have all the qualifications for success.  Know that in God's world, we have nothing to stress about.  God's plans for us are so great, our hope and future is secure in Him.  Thanks be to God for so richly blessing us with the best job - being part of his kingdom.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the blessings you have provided to be a part of your kingdom.  Although we know we aren't nearly as qualified as we should be, you don't care.  All you want is our simple faith and love.  You will work with the rest!  Thank you, God, for taking me in and giving me a path for peace.  In your name I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.