Sunday, August 5, 2018

Staying Silent

"But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord.  Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.  But do this with gentleness and respect."
1 Peter 3:15

Silence certainly has its wonderful benefits.  Sometimes, I revel in the silence that is around me, whether it is the beauty of the outdoors, the evening hours, or even when my husband and I are just quiet together.  With the busyness of the world silence can seem like a cherished moment.

Yet, silence can also lead to other outcomes.  A few weeks ago, I found myself silent in understanding.  There was a situation that I didn't completely understand.  Instead of speaking up and asking questions, I stayed silent and made assumptions.  The silence and assumptions actually led to a great deal of frustration.  The more I assumed, the frustration increased.  I found myself moving from frustration to anger.  I finally spoke up (and it wasn't in a kind and gentle manner).  What resulted were a series of not-so-kind words that led to me admitting that I shouldn't have stayed silent - I should have asked questions for understanding and the assumptions would have been buried.  If I had asked questions, I would have learned the truth and wouldn't have been stagnant with frustration.

This scenario can raise its head again when we have questions on our faith.  Having a clear understanding of everything in the Good Book is nearly impossible.  There are Biblical scholars who still don't have all the answers.  Many times, we may feel as if asking faith-based questions is a questioning of our faith, that somehow if we ask these questions our faith is jeopardized.  May I share a resounding "NO"!  By not asking questions about the word of God, we are stagnant.  Diving deep into the Bible brings up a series of questions and wonder.  That isn't a bad thing - that is a WONDERFUL thing!  Staying silent on those questions can lead to not only a stagnant faith but a strong level of assumption.  As in my example, that assumption can lead to frustration.

So where do you go to have your questions answered?  Seek out others in Christ.  Speak to a pastor, talk with fellow Christians, join a Bible Study, read more about God's word.  By spending time sharing and talking, we move from assumptions and frustration to truth and growth.  Having a simple faith in our Dear Lord doesn't mean that we won't have questions.  Ask your questions.  Seek to understand.  Live in the glory that God's greatness expands to our personal growth.  When you have the answers, share them with others.  As our verse for today states, share with others where you find your hope, your joy.  Let them know about your faith.  Don't stay silent, but speak with words God gives you to share your faith and live in His Word.

"Dearest Lord, there are many times that staying silent can be good.  Yet, when it comes to questions about you, God, direct us to those here on earth who can provide us the answers.  Let us have a healthy inquiry to grow in your truth.  May we not be stagnant and frustrated, may we gain knowledge and growth.  In your name we pray.  Amen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.