Sunday, March 24, 2019

Pivot From Sin

"Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, and that he may send the Messiah, who has been appointed for you - even Jesus.  Heaven must receive him until the time comes for God to restore everything, as he promised long ago through his holy prophets."  
Acts 3:19-21

Pivot your thoughts!  I recently read an article that shared when we are doing something that is taking too much time away from more productive things (like engulfed in social media and such), that we should pivot our thoughts to something more productive.  It has actually become a bit of a game for my husband and me.  If one of us is looking for a bit of attention (yes, that is usually me), I will say "pivot" and he will smile, look up from his phone and we both chuckle.

Pivot defined means "to turn".  During these past weeks, we have looked at repentance from deeply seeking our sins, acknowledging that they truly are OUR sins, and then ensuring that we share them with God.  All of that has to do with the sin itself.  Now it is time to move from the sin to a new direction.  One may see it moving from the darkness to the light or from the wicked to the righteous.  However you view it, it's time to take action - to pivot to God and his ways.  

Many times, as Christians, we focus only on the repent part of sin.  This is important, as Jesus asks us to repent for our sins.  Yet, just because we repent for doing wrong doesn't mean we can continue in that sinful behavior.   No, it isn't always easy to pivot from the bad things I do to behave in only the way God wants me to behave.  There have been times in my life where I have justified my sinful behavior - believing if I asked God for forgiveness "I was good"; I could continue doing wrong because I asked God to forgive me.  God wants more for us than that - he wants us to, "Repent, then and turn to God . . ." 

How do we do this?  How do we make that turn?  Sometimes it is easy - I missed a night of reading my devotion - I need to get back on track.  Other times it may be more difficult - I spoke poorly of someone behind their back.  Gossip is wrong in all facets.  That can be more difficult to change.  Either way, God wants us turning to Him in all that we do.  We need to find something that works for us and strive to change our behavior.  

Setting up small triggers to help us move our behavior can work.  Maybe it is an alarm on my phone to ensure my day doesn't end without prayer.  Maybe it is a Bible verse near me so I don't gossip and only speak kindly.  Whatever the reminder, it is important to realize that Jesus will forgive our sins, but it is important to turn back to Him on all occasions.  Living in God's way is the true freedom from sin that we all strive for.

Pivoting to God leads to the freedom we all desire.  By seeking out our true and deep sins, acknowledging them and not justifying them, sharing them with those who can hold us accountable (here on Earth and in heaven), and pivoting towards God, we will receive the forgiveness that Jesus endured for us - the forgiveness of our sins and life everlasting with Him.  Is it time to pivot??

My Dear Jesus, I know the right things to do, but many times my sinful pride or lack of self-discipline can get in the way.  It can yield to me repenting, but not pivoting.  Help me Jesus.  Help me to turn to your ways - freeing ways - ways that can bring me the peace I deeply search for in my life.  I know when I do this, I walk into your light.  Thank you for never giving up on me Jesus.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.