Sunday, March 3, 2019

Seek to Turn Around

"Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, and that he may send the Messiah, who has been appointed for you - even Jesus.  Heaven must receive him until the time comes for God to restore everything, as he promised long ago through his holy prophets."  
Acts 3:19-21

Wednesday is Ash Wednesday, and the beginning of Lent, a time of repentance.  The word repentance has many stark images for people.  When some hear that word, they think of God standing in heaven shaking his finger at us humans.  Other see a minister preaching "fire and brimstone" from the alter.  I actually have the image of the one I use today, to turn around.

Lent is a time for people to reflect upon our lives, the sinful nature that is in all of us.  It is a time for us to truly search our souls for the areas where the devil lurks the most.  As I begin this reflection season, I immediately see the ones that are most prevalent.  
  • I see my inadequacy in ensuring my body reflects God's temple.  The type of food that I put in my body, or my unwillingness to truly dedicate to a exercise plan doesn't reflect this body God gave me.
  • I see my shortcomings in controlling a situation - whether it be where we go and what we do (yes, there are two or more people in we - my perception is more I).
  • I notice my thoughts are not always positive in nature and can have a negative vibe.
Yes, this is behavior that I need to repent for - to acknowledge and turn.  During this Lenten season, I pray that I dig a bit deeper and seek the areas that are truly not pleasing to God - that the devil has dug his heels into, and that I need to turn around.  Oh there are many for me to choose from, my friends.  Those deep areas are the ones that weigh heavy on my shoulders.  Those sins are the ones that I carry around and have a hard time releasing.  It is more convenient to hide them under the rug.

Not this time!  My friends, it is time for us to:
  • Seek:   to spend time diving deep to find those areas we have hid
  • Acknowledge:  to admit the truth of our sins. not justify them
  • Share:   to discuss them with Jesus and let him know what you have found
  • Turn:    to pivot and move in a different direction than the one leading to sin
Let's start by seeking those areas that need washing.  Spend time reflecting upon your ways that are not aligned with God's ways.  Peek under those covers and let Jesus' light shine in.  It is in that darkness that Jesus' greatest light is revealed - the light of hope, grace, mercy and love.  As we begin this month reflecting on repentance, we can keep our eyes focused on our Messiah.  For it is He who came down from heaven.  It is He who taught us how to live.  It is He who suffered for our sins.  It is He who rose for our redemption.  Praise Be To Jesus!!

Dearest Jesus, let us enter the season of Lent seeking those dark areas where we are not aligned with your ways.  Help us to find them, Jesus, so we can then bring them out of the dark and into your light of forgiveness.  In your holy name we pray, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.