Sunday, March 31, 2019

Find Mercy

"Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, and that he may send the Messiah, who has been appointed for you - even Jesus.  Heaven must receive him until the time comes for God to restore everything, as he promised long ago through his holy prophets."  
Acts 3:19-21

Justice or Mercy?  This past week I had a conversation with a colleague and while discussing God, they asked, "Do you believe we have a God of justice or of mercy?"  I very quickly responded, "Mercy!"  We finished our conversation, but as the days have passed, I keep coming around to that chat.  WHY did I respond so quickly to mercy?

Justice, judging - those are words that we can completely get a grasp on.  Mercy is like grace or righteousness.  It's one of those words that every now and again, I need to find a dictionary and pull that word apart, seeking why it is so close to my heart and my God.  As I did, I realized that mercy is granted by someone who can punish another for a sin, yet provides forgiveness.  That certainly wraps up the God that I know and love.

The verses above that we have been studying in the past few weeks can be summed up in one word - MERCY.  Our God, who created the earth and all in it;  our God who saved the world from a flood, our God who saved his people from slavery; our God has mercy on ME.  God came to earth through his son Jesus, our Messiah, who was appointed for ME.  As I would seek my sins, acknowledge and admit them, share them with Jesus and turn away from those sins and back to God, Jesus would be waiting for me - at every step.  He is there with an outstretched arm, inviting me to the mercy only He can grant me.

As we move away from these verses and enter a new one next week, may we spend time in the truth that our repentance brings mercy from our God who invites you into His kingdom.  As a son or daughter of God, He loves us so much that He gave us Jesus - a true gift.  There is nothing we have done that earns that gift of salvation.  It is a pure gift from one who loves us more than anyone.  Revel in that glory.  Smile with that joy.  May the peace that comes with mercy fill your heart.  Blessings!!

Dearest God - thank you for the gift of your son, Jesus.  Through this heavenly gift, and all that He did, we are awarded a place with you in paradise.  May our hearts come to you in a repentant state, and may we feel the love you so graciously give to us.  The love that brings true salvation.  In your name we pray.  Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.