Sunday, June 16, 2019

Compassionate Father

"As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him."
Psalm 103:13

I have many blessings in my life.  One of the greatest has been to have an earthly father who gave so much of himself for his family.  We rarely appreciate activities as they happen - especially as a teenager and especially with a parent.  As I look back over that time, and the years that followed, I reminisce about a man who brought such faith and prayer into his life, and imparted it on our lives.

Daddy didn't claim to memorize Bible verses or be able to quote Scripture.  Yet, he knew Jesus and his faith in Him was crystal clear.  Daddy's actions, his humbleness, his joy and his smile helped me to know every day that Jesus was in his heart.  He had compassion for family, friends, and strangers. Near the end of his life, when people would visit him in the hospital, it was all about sharing his faith with others - even if it was a simple, "God Bless".

Fast forward a few years and I have watched the man that I married become an incredible father as well.  I listen as he is the first call our children make when they need help (especially something mechanical), even though they are all adults.  I watch as he supports their decisions with additional strength.  Most importantly, my heart grows large as I hear him ask God to keep them safe.  He texts them all every day to wish them a good day and is excited when they text back.  Again, my husband may not quote Scripture, but he lives out Jesus' love to our family every day, with his actions, his humbleness, his joy, his smile and his compassion.

Our Heavenly Father yearns to have us close to him, just as earthly fathers yearn to have their children close to them.  The examples God has given in words and deeds to help our earthly fathers be good dads is an inspiration to all.  Yet, one of the greatest gifts we can receive from our earthly fathers and our Heavenly Father is compassion.  When we are suffering, our fathers are there for us.  They comfort us and walk with us through times of trial.  Some of us may not have had fathers who were there for us.  Some may have since lost our fathers to go to paradise.  There is no need to worry when struggles surround us.

Jesus is there for us - walking right beside us as our fathers have done.  He provides strength through the Holy Spirit, love and open arms to fall into, and our ability to talk to Him through prayer, always knowing He is listening.  My friends, if our fathers are no longer with us on earth, don't lose heart.  Jesus has ALWAYS been there to be the father we need - to love us unconditionally and support us through every trial.  What peace we have knowing the Lord's compassion is with us every day.

Oh Jesus, thank you for always being our father, even when our father on earth has gone away.  Help us to be reminded of that when times are tough or we feel alone.  May we turn to you in prayer, having full faith that you are listening and loving us.  Thank you - Heavenly Father.  Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.