Sunday, August 4, 2019

Birds of Different Feathers

"Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult.  On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing."  1 Peter 3:9

As I sat in the backyard with my cup of coffee this morning, I was looking at my bird feeder.  Between the birds at the feeder and those "waiting their turn", there were many different types of birds.  Yet, what I found most intriguing was the singing.  The cardinal chirped in small quick beats.  The mourning dove sang in a longer stride, with an up tone at the end.  As I listened more intently, I could hear numerous birds singing.  Each bird was singing in a very distinct way.  They looked different and they sang different.  Yet together, it was as if they were in harmony - and the beauty of one complimented the next.

I'm thinking if birds can do this, why can't humans?  Why can't all of us sing our own language and compliment the next?  Why can't we all look our own yet come together in harmony?  This past week, the insulting words and hateful comments seemed to be all around, especially on social media.  Every time I turned to my phone, I seemed to see hurtful comments being shared.  I started getting very angry about it.  Why are people so nasty?  There are difficult and horrible things going on in this world.  Yet, do we have to add to it?

The answer is NO!  We don't have to be a part of it.  We don't have to be a part of nasty things on Facebook. We don't have to be a part of the gossip.  We don't have to have the negative attitude.  We can do our part.  We can be the change.  I know what you might be thinking, "One person really can't make the difference in such a huge issue!"  Perhaps you are right, our own actions may not change the world.  Yet, they may change that ONE person you are speaking to.  Maybe others seeing your positive viewpoint will come along with you.  You never know if the situation that you're going to walk into is the one that needs a positive statement.  It's time to take the bold step away from the criticism and into the light.

We need to walk like Jesus did.  He brought harmony between different people.  He used words of love and truth and hope.  He accepted each person as they were, regardless of their different feathers.  When we all can gather together and walk in the steps of Jesus, we are creating the world as God intended - with joy and peace and love.  I don't know about you, but that is a world I would rather be a part of.  So let's not repay evil with evil or insult with insult.  Let us be the blessing that people need!  Let us sing the songs of hope to all.  

Jesus, help fill my mouth with words that sing praises.  Help me to turn away from negativity and critique and focus on positive and hope.  May the words that fill my mouth be those that are not filled with evil, but with joy.  Let others see the love you so richly give to me.  In your name I pray.  Amen!

2 comments:

  1. Lets all pray for those killed this weekend in those horrible mass shootings. May they all rest in the arms of our Lord.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.