Sunday, December 29, 2019

Silence as a Teacher

Image result for silence

"Be still, and know that I am God"  Psalm 46:10

It seems every New Year, we all take some time to reflect on a resolution that we can make to better ourselves.  I know that I have entered each new year hoping I will eat better, exercise more, etc.  I have “hoped” that I will be a better person, give people more time, listen better, etc.  Each year I enter the year with much to “do”.  January 1st hasn’t hit yet and I’m already exhausted.

Rarely do I say I will enter the new year and be still, be silent.  Yet, as I look at my life and the long “to do” list that I seem to constantly have, being still and silent don’t seem to be on the list.  I tend to be a “doer”, finding plenty to keep me busy, even in the smallest of moments.  Looking at this verse, though, our dear Lord wants one thing from me – to be still.

Does this seem as daunting to you as it does to me?  Can I really sit still?  Can I truly be silent?  This new year, I am going to try.  Why?  Because my Lord is asking me to.  My God is telling me to be still, to be with Him, to pray to Him, to show time and attention to Him.  He certainly deserves that from me – that and so much more.  What does that entail, to be still with God? 

I believe this will mean different things for different people.  It may mean meditating on a verse that you hold close to your heart.  It may mean sitting in your favorite chair and talking to God.  It may mean wrapped up in your favorite blanket and looking at your favorite picture, knowing how loved you are by God.  I pray that it also includes time for our minds to be quiet and still, and waiting for God to talk to us.  The Holy Spirit is so powerful, yet many times we aren’t still enough or silent enough to hear him.  He is always there, waiting to tug our hearts, our minds, our souls to be close to him.

As we begin this new year, may we take time out of our busy schedules to “be still” and silent so we can hear God.  Let Him pierce our hearts with his love so that we may live out our lives loving others.  Happy New Year to all!!

Heavenly Father, help us this new year.  Help us to be still and silent.  We know that in the silence you can teach us so very much that we need for our daily lives.  May we choose time away from the lists and the activities to spend time with you, in silence.  May we hear your voice as you speak to us and move forward with you.  In your merciful name we pray, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.