Sunday, December 1, 2019

Sounds of Christmas - Singing

"Sings to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts."  Psalm 105:2

It's hard to believe that it's the first Sunday in Advent already.  When Thanksgiving comes this late in November, it seems like the Christmas season gets a quick start.  Not that I'm complaining.  As many of you know, I've been decorating for weeks.  I'm happy to say that this past Friday, the last tree went up in the house - it is now complete and ready to enjoy.

As I was contemplating what to write about this Advent season, it came to me that there are many wonderful sounds that we experience.  Each Sunday in December, I'll be exploring one that I pray will resonate with you and that we can celebrate together.  The first one - singing!  My children will tell you that although I may not have the voice of Celine Dion, I certainly enjoy singing - especially Christmas carols.  I start on November 1st and enjoy singing them whenever I can.

Christmas carols have such a beauty to them.  Whether ones of old or newer carols, they all hold something dear - praise to the events surrounding the birth of our Savior.  As I sing these precious tunes, I can picture the scenario of long ago.  In "Little Town of Bethlehem", I can see the small town where Jesus came to lay his head.  "The First Noel" has me picturing the beautiful angels singing from beyond.  Pictures of people entering their churches are what I see when I sing, "O Come All Ye Faithful".   There is one my favorites, "Away in the Manger", where I can see the nativity scene so clearly.

As we sing those carols this year, I ask that you take a minute.  Sing those words of praise and joy to our Lord.  Picture the scenes in your mind.  Bring the season into your heart.  As you sing the words, remember who you are singing to - "praise him, tell of his wonderful acts."  It all starts now.  Advent, preparation for Jesus' arrival, is our chance to refocus our hearts from the busyness of the holiday season and bring it closer to the true meaning, the birth of our Savior.  

I encourage all of us to listen for the Sounds of Christmas.  Singing praise and joy can happen when you need it the most.  Maybe you start singing in the middle of a busy store, at home while decorating, or in church with fellow parishioners.  Step aside.  Close your eyes for a moment.  Fill your heart with Jesus.  I guarantee you a smile will cross your face and He will hear your praise.  May the week ahead hold the sound of singing close to your heart as you prepare for His arrival.

Dearest Jesus - as we prepare for your arrival, may we hold the sounds of Christmas close to us, especially through Christmas carols.  May we sing with joy from our hearts as you fill our hearts with your love.  Help us to focus our thoughts and attention to you, Jesus.  In your holy name we pray.  Amen! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.