Sunday, January 12, 2020

Pleased



Something special happens when a person, big or small, is baptized.  It is such a holy occasion filled with joy, thanksgiving and praise.  Although all baptisms are blessed, when I hear about an adult coming to Jesus and receiving baptism, I wonder what joy must be filling their heart.  Today, we celebrate the baptism of Jesus by John.  I can't imagine being there on that special day.  The best part of that recollection of events for me boils down to the last few words, "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."

I thought about those words, "with you I am well pleased" as I sat in church today.  The more I reflected, the sadness in my heart grew.  Is my heavenly father pleased with me?  It made me think about my thoughts, words, and actions throughout my life.  Certainly there are examples in all three of those areas where I would not be pleasing to my heavenly Father.

Too many times throughout the day, I have thoughts that are not in line with the Father's commandments.  Thoughts of frustration, jealousy, anger.  Thoughts of self pity and lack of forgiveness.  Do you have thoughts that are less than desirable?  I know my Lord knows my thoughts, yet, there are times when I am sure they are unpleasing to God.  

Words?  Don't get me started.  I try hard to hold my tongue from words that will hurt or to curse. Although certainly not perfect, where I am probably at greater fault is when I don't say something - something to bring God glory.  In either circumstance, there are always nudges from the Holy Spirit letting me know my words should have been different, more pleasing to God.

My actions are probably the area for most improvement.  Spending more time in the Word, helping others, volunteering more - so many areas where my actions would be more pleasing to God with greater effort on my part.  In each of these areas, I fall short.

There is, as always, good news - through the waters of baptism.  As I was baptized, my sins became cleansed.  By believing in our Savior, I have received forgiveness.  Through confession of my sins to God, I receive repentance.  I feel as if I'm the most fortunate person on Earth!  By receiving the cleansing waters, I am able to hear the words, "with you I am well pleased."  When I one day enter Heaven's gates, I look forward to God putting his arms around me and saying to me, "You are my daughter, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."  Join me in rejoicing!  Let us live in the power and grace of God's love today - knowing He is pleased.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the waters of baptism.  Through this sacrament, we are able to receive the forgiveness of our sins and your grace forevermore.  May you continue to shower us with love, God, and hold us close.  Help us to realize that through repentance of our sins, you are pleased with us.  What a gift you give us!  In you name we pray, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.