Sunday, January 17, 2021

Come Close


Sunday is my meal prep day.  It is the day where I take the freshly bought ingredients and make meals for the week.  The meals could be for others that may need a meal or for my family.  It is the day I plan what we will eat each day and ensure that those meals are prepared ahead of time – as much as I can – so mealtime is quick and easy.  Meal prep is clockwork.  Cut the vegetables and start cooking items in the oven and on the stove.  Plastic containers are laid out on the counter and filled accordingly.  Typically, two hours later, viola!  Meals are done.

This type of cooking for me tends to be one of necessity and not necessarily joy.  As much as I enjoy cooking, meal prep is a ‘means to an end’.  Meal prep is about getting it done.  As I was cooking today, I thought about that and when are the times that I really enjoyed cooking.  When I had time to really pick all the ingredients with care, and prepare the dishes without a timeline, I find I enjoy cooking immensely.  Into my thoughts walks, God.  “Really”, you say?

As I was thinking about cooking and meal prep versus enjoyment, it made me think about how I approach my time with God.  Do I use the quick and easy method, or do I spend that time in enjoyment?  I am sorry to say that not always do I approach my time with God in enjoyment.  I may be approaching my time as ‘something to get done’.  I am not proud to admit that, but the truth it is.  If my mornings are rushed, I may fly through my devotion without spending any time reflecting on the message.  I may say prayers on my way to work in the car, ensuring I cross everyone ‘off the list’, versus spending real time on the needs of each person.  I am sure God can find many more ways where my time with Him is not what HE is looking for.  What to do?

For me, the first step is always acknowledging when I may not be meeting God where He wants me to meet him.  Once acknowledged, it is then finding a verse that I can memorize, or at the very least, have close to me to remind me of God’s goodness.  I love our verse for today, “Come close to God and God will come close to you.  I certainly want God’s closeness, but I need to do my part.  Maybe we get a verse front and center in sight.  Perhaps begin a prayer journal – a great way to see God working in the lives of others.  We can read devotions as if God is talking to us – Because He Is!!  Maybe step back and realize we do not need to do 3-4 devotions but dive deep into one well.  It is there that God will meet us!

Getting close to God can be done in so many ways.  Find what works for you.  Reflect on when you receive true joy in your time with Jesus.  Build those times into your day.  When we do, it will be like meal prep – having everything we need when we need it to nourish us! 

Heavenly Father help me to realize the joy I receive when I spend time with you.  Help me to see where I can get close to you, so you can get close to me!  I want to melt into your arms of safety when we are together and not check it off my list as done.  May I reflect on my time with you and hold close to it.  In your name I pray.  Amen.


2 comments:

  1. Focused time, even if brief, will bring nourishment rather than sustainence. Thank you for the"recipe"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Focused time, even if brief, will bring nourishment rather than sustainence. Thank you for the"recipe"

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.