Sunday, January 10, 2021

Light in Darkness

                                        

 New Years – they tend to bring a host of emotions with them.  Many times, we view them as newness – new goals to achieve, new destinations to see, new relationships to build.  Other times, we view them as reflection points – how have I traveled to this point in my life and where do I go from here.  At times, we are closing chapters on previous experiences and moving forward with hope.  This year, as I have chatted with people and read different articles, it seems as if people have incorporated all of these situations into 2021.

Yet, as we have moved into 2021, in the short ten days we have had, we have seen much despair.  We have seen sickness and death.  We have seen anger and disappointment.  We have seen much darkness.  It has created a sense of hopelessness and despondency.  Instead of people being excited about a new year, it seems as if people are already writing off 2021.

I thought about other dark times, in recent history and certainly throughout history in general.  I went to the only place I can go to find light among the darkness.  As I thumbed through the pages of the Bible, I saw time and time again where darkness had plagued the earth – only to have God shine his light through it.  People in the Bible who had dark times – and God shining his light through them.  I find it amazing how God take those times in our lives, as far back as Biblical times, and shows his goodness.  Where there is despair, there is hope – hope through God.

People ask the question, “Where is God; Where is the light that we need now?”  It is in all of us.  Those who believe carry the Holy Spirit with them – God in each of us.  Therefore, when we are constantly looking around us for the light, we need only to look within ourselves and others.  Seek the light and not the darkness.  How do we do that?

We become the light that people need.  We shine God’s goodness wherever we go and in whatever we do.  We let the Holy Spirit fill our lives so that we can fill the lives of others.  The “big” things are great – missionary trips, careers in the faith, large donations.  Yet, I passionately believe our light shines brightest in the “little” things in life.  The kind smile, the note of encouragement, a prayer said for another, a meal made in love.

Life on this earth is short – our eternal life awaits us.  There is much around us that can bring us to darkness.  Anxiousness and a sense of overwhelming negativity can be seen.  These are the things that are around us – they are not US!  God is with us, each moment of each day.  May He be seen in you and through you.  During times like these I am reminded of the children’s song, “This Little Light of Mine”.  Let your light shine!  Let your hope shine!  Let God shine!

Dearest God, so much around us is darkness right now.  It may be difficult to see good.  Yet, we know that you are good God, all the time.  Help us to be the light that people need to see now.  Help us to shine the Holy Spirit that is in us to all that need to see it.  In your bright and shining name I pray – Amen!



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.