Sunday, April 23, 2023

Lighthouse Power

 


I have a fascination with lighthouses.  Whenever I travel, they always seem to be on the ‘must see’ list.  When I look at them, I not only see beauty in the tall cylinder, but I also see power and purpose.  I stand in awe thinking about the people who built them, many times having to face some treacherous terrain to get these beacons of light to stand.  Some are short and stout, others are tall and lean, all are beautiful in my eyes.  The lighthouse in the picture, from York, Maine, is one of my favorites.  My husband and I will many times go there and sit on the rocks, breath in the fresh air, and just ‘be’.  Of course, the wonderful ice cream hut a mile or so down the road is a favorite of ours as well!

Lighthouses are built to emit light near dangerous and rocky coastlines, aiding those on the water to navigate their ships along that part of the coast.  They emit a light, day and night, to assist the captains of the ships to steer clear of difficult, dark waters and find a different way.  Lighthouses are also built to sustain the difficult weather that many times aligns with their locations.  The one in York, Maine, for instance, sees many storms, some hurricanes, and in winter our typical nor’easter that can bring impact weather of wind and snow.   Lighthouses are built for the purpose of saving lives – the lives on the vessels who can see their light shine.

Yes, my friends, the parallels are strong between the lighthouse and having our Lord in our lives. Let’s look at a few:

·       Warning:  The light of the lighthouse provides a navigational warning to ships to navigate out of the dark waters.  Our Lord certainly provides that for us.  His light and His Word provide us the navigational warnings necessary for us in this life.  Through the warning light, He can steer us from the dangerous waters of life to safe ground.

·       Strength:  Lighthouses are built for the purpose of being able to endure the storm, no matter how ominous.  Our dear Lord endured the battle of the cross, showing the world His strength to not give in to the perils of this world.  Jesus has certainly provided strength to me during difficult times, knowing that he would always be there for me no matter how difficult the storm gets.

·       Hope:  The lighthouse not only provides navigational direction; it also lets the captain know they are closer to land, closer to a destination.  Jesus provides that hope for us.  When we see and experience Jesus’ light, we know we are closer to Him and closer to the eternal life that will always be ours when we believe in Him. 

·       Salvation:  Saving lives is the purpose of a lighthouse, ensuring ships and those on board are steered away from the rocky coastlines to safety.  Jesus’ sole purpose was to bring the world salvation.  By His death on the cross, those who believe in Him will have eternal salvation.

Perhaps that is why I am so drawn to lighthouses.  When I look at them, I see my Lord and Savior, whose light shines for the world, providing warning, strength, hope and salvation.  I pray our Lord is your beacon of light – a lighthouse in your life.

Dearest Jesus, thank you for lighting our path and steering us away from dark and dangerous waters.  May I look for your light of strength and hope during difficult times as I know you will always be there.  Amen!


2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and timely comparison. A lighthouse is more than a physical structure...it represents the light of my being, my precious Lord and Savior. Thank you Susan.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.