Sunday, April 30, 2023

Reset

 


There are two stores that I would prefer never to walk into – a car salesmanship and a cell phone store.  Neither of those places scream “Can’t wait to get something new.”  I know, for most people it can be exciting.  For me, it is as bad as going to the dentist (and for those that know my greatest fear – you get this)!  Yet, there are times when you need to take the plunge.  Yesterday was that day.  In I walk, with my wonderful husband who assists in these trying times, to the cell phone store.  Two hours later, I got a new phone.

Although much of the transfer from one phone to the other was seamless, there were certain apps that needed me to put in my password.  I am hoping there are others who face the same fate as I do when I must remember my passwords.  Really?  Do you want me to remember something I set years ago?  Which leads to the title of my post today – reset.  For many of the apps, I needed to reset my password, and everything was once again at my fingertips.  I forgot the old password and created a new one so I could move forward.

This process gently reminded me of the many times I needed to reset my faith.  It was not that I had forgotten my faith, like my passwords, but there have been times I have needed to reset the old way of how I was living out my faith by moving forward in a new light.  There are times in the Bible where this process is referenced.  In my life, it has come with complacency.  My prayers in the morning become stale and repetitive, not necessarily seeking the condition of my heart.  I can walk through a worship service with the proper responses, not soaking in each response of the liturgy.  I sing praise songs without focusing on the words.  When I find myself in those situations, an immense amount of guilt floods over me, realizing that my Lord and Savior deserves so much more from me.

So, I reset!  Like my password reset, I start looking at my faith and reset it to do new things.  When I do this, my faith moves forward in a fresh spirit.  As Isaiah 43: 17-18 says:

“Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old.  Behold, I am doing a new thing:  now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?”

These words remind me of the power of new!  It may mean I am uncomfortable for a little while, but while I seek new ways, my heart is filled with new things.  I may move to a new devotional – seeking God’s word with new insights.  Instead of worrying that I get the tune right in the hymn we are singing, I may stay silent and read the words of those precious hymns that have so much to say.  I may select a phone screen saver with Bible verses that I have not explored before – finding newness in what Jesus shares with us.

Resetting our faith can have powerful outcomes.  Our minds will be filled with new wonders and our hearts can be filled with the simple faith that God has always wanted for us.  Try pressing the rest button of your faith.  You may be surprised what new aspects can replace old behaviors.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the reset button.  As I explore different ways to explore the gifts of grace and mercy you have bestowed upon me, help me to spring forward in my faith.  In your gracious name I pray, Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
God has always tugged at my heart to write for others. This blog provides the opportunity to share my faith with the world. I am honored that you have visited the blog and hope you return.